From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
|Covent Garden | | | | |[pic] | |[pic] | |Location | |OS grid reference: |TQ303809 | |Latitude: |51.5119° | |Longitude: |-0.1213° | |Administration | |London borough: |Westminster, Camden | |County level: |Greater London | |Region: |London | |Constituent country: |England | |Sovereign state: |United Kingdom | |Other | |Ceremonial county: |Greater London | |Historic county: |Middlesex | |Services | |Police force: |Metropolitan Police | |Fire brigade: |London Fire Brigade | |Ambulance service: |London Ambulance | |Post office and telephone | |Post town: |LONDON | |Postal district: |WC2 | |Dialling code: |020 | |Politics | |UK Parliament: |Cities of London and Westminster,| | |Holborn and St. Pancras | |London Assembly: |West Central London | |European Parliament: |London | |London | List of places in London |
The exterior of Covent Garden market
The interior of Covent Garden Market
Covent Garden is a district in central London straddling the easternmost parts of the City of Westminster and the southwest corner of the London Borough of Camden. The area is dominated by shopping and entertainment facilities and contains an entrance to the Royal Opera House Covent Garden, which is also widely known simply as "Covent Garden," and the bustling Seven Dials area. The area is bounded by High Holborn, Kingsway, The Strand and Charing Cross Road. Covent Garden Piazza is located in the geographical centre of the area and was the site of a flower, fruit and vegetable market from the 1500s until 1974, when the wholesale market relocated to New Covent Garden Market in Nine Elms.
|Contents | |[hide] | |1 History | |1.1 Roman times to the 1500s | |1.2 1600s to 1800s | |1.3 Modern day period | |2 Other information | |3 External links |
 Roman times to the 1500s
A settlement has existed in the area since the Roman times of Londinium. "Convent Garden" (later corrupted to Covent Garden as we know it today) was the name given, during the reign of King John (1199 - 1256), to a 40 acre (160,000 m²) patch in the county of Middlesex, bordered west and east by what is now St. Martin's Lane and...