Indicate your level of agreement with these ten statements using the following scale:
1 = Strongly disagree
2 = Disagree
3 = Neither agree or disagree
4 = Agree
5 = Strongly agree
1. I am usually aware-from moment to moment-of my feelings as they change.
2. I act before I think.
3. When I want something, I want it NOW!
4. I bounce back quickly from life’s setbacks.
5. I can pick up subtle social cues that indicate others’ needs or wants.
6. I’m very good at handling myself in social situations.
7. I’m persistent in going after the things I want.
8. When people share their problems with me, I’m good at putting myself in their shoes.
9. When I’m in a bad mood, I make a strong effort to get out of it.
10. I can find common ground and build rapport with people from all walks of life.
Source: Based on D. Goleman, Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ (New York: Bantam Book, 1995).
This score was calculated by adding your responses to the ten items, with items 2 and 3 reverse-scored (i.e., 5 points for a 1 and 1 point for a 5).
Your score is: ______
Analysis and Interpretation
Emotional Intelligence (EI) is an assortment of skills and competencies that have shown to influence a person’s ability to perceive, evaluate, express, and regulate emotions and feelings.
This questionnaire taps the five basic dimensions in EI: self-awareness (items 1 and 9), self-management (2, 4), self-motivation (3, 7), empathy (5, 8), and social skills (6, 10).
Your score will fall between 10 and 50. While no definite cutoff scores are available, scores of 40 or higher indicate a high EI. Scores of 20 or less suggest a relatively low EI.
EI may be most predictive of performance in jobs such as sales or management where success is as dependent on interpersonal skills as technical ability....