Unit three: Principles of managing information and producing documents
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk • Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly • When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference • Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Section 1 – Understand the purpose of information technology in a business environment
1. In relation to your current business environment (or one that you are familiar with), identify at least two different types of information technology that may be used when completing work tasks.
• MS Excel (a spreadsheet is a document which is divided into rows and columns to record such things as items in inventory, income and expenses, debits and credits. Spreadsheets are designed to ease the management of numbers and calculations,they calculate totals, averages, percentages, budgets, and complex financial and scientific formulas.
• A database is a collection of data which has been organised so that a computer program can quickly select desired items. This could be something as straightforward as a list of names in alphabetical order or an ascending list of numeric stock codes. Ideal for use with telephone contacts or staff details.
• MS Word processing (Standard word documents: Use for the creation of most documents such as letters, memos, minutes, etc.)
2. What are the benefits to businesses (and others) of using information technology for doing work tasks?
The benefits to businesses and others of using information technology for doing all work tasks are that’s it is a fast accurate, efficient flow of information which is the life blood of any business, the two important aspects to information exchange using I.T are sending and receiving emails and using internet to find out information.
It has helped make communication quicker cheaper and more efficient, you can communicate with anyone in the world, people from different cultures can now communicate with each other it has also brought cost effectiveness, this in turn increases productivity which helps a rise in profits which means better pay and work conditions for all. Your business can also stay open 24hrs a day so people can order from the internet.
It can also help your workforce with extra learning at home you can also search the web for more business and extra workers.
Many attendees at a meeting may be invited quickly in one go rather than people having to be called individually. Quotes and brochures may be easily sent via email to prospective customers. Everyone who works for the business can access notes and information on customers via databases. The internet can be used to quickly find information by staff.
Section 2 – Understand how to manage electronic and paper-based information
1. Explain the purpose of agreeing objectives and deadlines when researching information.
If possible, refer to specific examples from research tasks you have worked on to support your answer.
The purpose of agreeing objectives and deadlines when researching information are that research is important in business, as it provides information that will inform business decisions. If information is not collected, then this can lead to poor quality decisions being made. If research into these areas is not done properly then it can result in businesses spending too much money or gathering the wrong type of information for improving customer services. It also helps to have objectives and deadlines for what the research is to achieve.
To research and report information you need a number of different and transferable skills such as...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document