Vodafone Essar, formerly known as Hutchison Essar is a cellular operator in India that covers 23 telecom circles in India based in Mumbai.Vodafone Essar is owned by Vodafone 67% and Essar Group 33%. It is the second largest mobile phone operator in terms of revenue behind Bharti Airtel, and third largest in terms of customers. Segmentation
Vodafone segments its target users by Income, Age, Service usage, Nature of customer, life of the service and geographical condition.
* Age- Vodafone segments its end users by segmenting them into “youth” and “adults”. It further categorizes these as college going kids, those that have just entered the corporate world and older adults. * Service Usage -Vodafone segments its target consumers /users by the kind of service they are looking for. They offer a variety of VAS and some users use Vodafone for these services.
Nature of Customer
* Corporate or individual- Vodafone segments its consumers by the nature of the customer, whether they are individual / sole users or whether they work in corporate and are looking to get a corporate connection. * Life of the Service -Vodafone segments its target consumers by the life of service they expect to sign up for. Some users want to sign up for a life time card which could be postpaid or pre-paid card and some users want a card that has a validity date attached to it. They offer differentiated services to each of these segments.
* Vodafone is adopting a multi segment approach. They are offering a series of differentiated products to their respective markets. * Home calling cards for the family of those professionals who used to work abroad. * Rs. 10 recharge for small users.
* Cheap SMS Facility for youths
* Facilities for circle users
* “Happy to help”
* Vodafone is a more young...