UNIVERSITY OF THE CENTRAL PUNJAB
ASSIGNMENT NO: 3
A little Introduction
It was originally established in Czechoslovakia by Thomas Bata in 1894. He was actually engaged in no formal shoe making business. He decided to visit Michigan for observing how Ford Motor company were making auto mobiles in assembly line production. He observe and took that idea and started applying all those same lines for production of shoes on large scale. As he started doing so, a revolution came over there in shoe making industry. In 2002 Bata was the largest organization in world of footwear industry with 14 billion pair of shoes produced and sold. Company has 75 footwear factories and tanneries in 95 countries. In Pakistan Bata had started its business in 1942 near Lahore. SWOT ANALYSIS
* Bata is multinational company with strong image and recognized in the world. * It was a part of a big Organization and very much strong in terms of finance. * Its biggest reason behind success was its retail network although it was competed by Servis later. * One of the reason of success was its footwear for whole family. * Company has its own retail outlets on which company has full control. * Company was targeting middle and lower middle segment of the country which was a big part of the population. Weaknesses
* It could not control its other departments, like tanneries and Tube and tyre production. * It could not sustain leadership for long time.
* It has set its image as for middle and lower middle class, which could not be changed immediately. * It has sold too much in the whole sales on credit which was not controlled. * Advertisement was not made through proper planning.
* It was the best opportunity for BATA to avoid defects and heavy costs by partnership with small manufacturers. * It could target to upper middle class and elite class.
* Use of Internet and TV channels...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document