Understanding the Ethics of My Major
(10%=Individual written report)
Purpose of Assignment
• Each student has to submit a written report that discusses and illustrates the ethics of his major or field (IT, Business, Engineering). • This assignment will help students understand the importance of ethics, ethics within an organization, and ethical decision making. This assignment will create an awareness of ethical practice within their academic life and professional life within their discipline. It will also help students understand the negative consequences of unethical behavior on individuals, organizations, and societies.
• To help students understand the topic of ethics within the workplace. • To help students understand the ethics of his discipline, and the ethical standards of a certain profession within his discipline.
Instructional Media: Tools and Resources
• Instructor will use the following technology and media: the BlackBoard, and PowerPoint Brainweaver, and Audacity. Also using the BlackBoard, students will be able to access previous students’ work. • Students will be provided with online articles, reports, and different resources that will assist them in understanding ethics, the ethics of their discipline, and the process involved in making ethical decisions. They will be provided with different case scenarios showing the importance of ethics within a profession and the aftermath of unethical behavior.
1.The report must use your own language and should specify the reference(s) from which the information is taken. If you cut and paste a sentence you must use quotation marks and write the author, year, and page number in brackets in the text after the quotation. Quotes can be no longer than 2 lines in length.
2.The report must:
• have a cover page
• use Times New Romans or Arial, font size: 12
• have a space of 1.5 between lines
• use your own words (no cut and pasting)
• be at least 2 full pages in length (not including the reference list) • start each paragraph with a topic sentence
• be written in the third person (do not use “I” or “my” or “our” or “we”) • full sentences (and no bullet points)
3.The report must use the following headings:
Include a clear thesis statement, introduce the term ‘ethics’, justify the importance of the assignment topic, a reference to justify assignment, outline what topics the report will cover
List 10 ethical behaviors such as being truthful, fairness, and respect for others. Briefly describe each of the behaviors with examples.
Importance of Ethics in my Major
Discuss the importance of ethics in your major in the workplace. Also, describe one company that used unethical behavior in your major
Ethical Issues in my Major
Describe 10 examples of ethical issues you may face in the workplace in your major
Restate the thesis statement, include a summary of the key points from the body paragraphs, and say how these key points answer the assignment
Include at least 3 references. The references can be from e-library, books, newspapers, or the internet (but not lecture slides). For each reference you must cite the author and year in the text of the essay. Also, you must list the author, year, article or book title, and publisher under References at the end of the essay. References without an author and year are unacceptable.
4.Examples of well written essays can be found in the BlackBoard under Student Samples in “Assignments”.
Date Due:Post on BlackBoard before 11:55 PM on
Friday, 05 October in Week 5
Where to deliver hard copies:In class
Where to place soft copies:...