Project: A planned undertaking of related activities to reach an objective that has a beginning and an end.
• Project management is the ongoing process of directing and coordinating all the steps in the development of an information system. • The main objective of project management is to ensure a successful completion of a project. A project will be considered as successful only if it is completed with certain quality level, within the budget allocated and the time duration planned. • Effective project management is necessary throughout the entire systems development life cycle to ensure successful completion of the project. • Many stages are involved in a particular project development. A project manager, therefore, needs to have the necessary skills and experience to manage the project.
• Responsible for creating high-level feasibility plans and detailed project plans as well as staffing project team • Determining the size, scope, and resource requirements for a project • Required to have interpersonal skills, leadership skills and technical skills
• A controlled process of initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing down a project. • The focus of the following section is on the project management process. The activities involved in managing a project occur in four phases:
1. Initiating the project
2. Planning the project
3. Executing the project (control and monitoring the project) 4. Closing down the project
• The first phase of the project management which several activities are performed to assess the size, scope, and complexity of the project and to establish procedures to support later project activities.
• The types of activities you will perform when initiating a project include the following:
➢ Establishing the project initiation team - focuses on organizing an initial core of project team members that assist in accomplishing the project initiation activities.
➢ Establishing a relationship with the customer - focuses on building a cooperative and trusting partnership with the customer. A thorough understanding of your customer builds stronger partnership and higher levels of trust.
➢ Establishing a project initiation plan - focuses on defining the necessary activities required to organize the initiation team while they are working to define the scope and goals of the project.
➢ Establishing management procedures - focuses on developing team communication and reporting procedures, job assignments and roles, project change procedures, and determining how project funding and billing will be handled.
➢ Establishing the project management environment and project workbook – focuses on collecting and organizing the tools that you will use while managing the project and to constructing project workbook.
*****project workbook----- An online or hard-copy repository for all project correspondence, inputs, outputs, deliverables, procedures and standards that is used for orienting new team members, communicating with management and customers, identifying future projects and performing post project reviews.
• The second phase of the project management process which focuses on defining clear, discrete activities and the work needed to complete each activity within a single project.
• The types of activities that you can perform during project planning include the following elements:
➢ Describing project scope, alternatives, and feasibility - is to develop an understanding of the content and complexity of the project by gaining answers to and agreement on the following types of questions: – What problem or opportunity does the project address? – What are the quantifiable results to be achieved?...