History/Previous Owners of 82 Queen Street, Charleston, South Carolina
How was it that a property was only owned for an average of four years before purchased by someone else? Maybe because the life span was shorter in the 17th century or perhaps because those who purchased the property resided elsewhere and thought that they no longer needed the property at 82 Queen Street. This is most likely the reason for the estimated 32 times the ownership of the property traded hands. All of who will not be mentioned, but those that are seemed to have more importance in the history of the property. Keep in mind that the property lot sizes kept decreasing due to specific reasons, one including the cost of the debt and legacies of Elliott.
The property known as 82 and 82 ½ Street today were previously addressed differently and separated into lot numbers. This property was part of Schinckingh’s Square, which holds great history in Charleston and consisted of lots 109, 110, 111, 112, and 140. The above property was contracted to Barnard Schenckingh on January 1, 1688. This was a three acre tract that was surrounded by Queen Street on the south, today’s Meeting Street on the east and today’s King Street on the west. Barnard was an immigrant from Barbados and a planter and office holder until he died in 1692 when his widow, Elizabeth Schenckingh passed on the property to their son Benjamin Schenckingh who greatly accepted this property. Elizabeth was therefore granted an annuity of 620 Sterling per year. Benjamin took after his father with his planter abilities and while doing this he acquired thousands of acres of land. He helped to overthrow the Proprietary rule in 1719 and was included in South Carolina’s King’s Council for 10 years. Benjamin in 1733 passed away and at that time he had no will, so the land wad divvied up to some distant relatives named Katherine and William Elliott.
Elliott became one of the largest landholders and planters in the 1680’s....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document