Ltvtp

Only available on StudyMode
  • Topic: Provinces of the Philippines, Luzon, Benguet
  • Pages : 5 (646 words )
  • Download(s) : 65
  • Published : March 6, 2013
Open Document
Text Preview
Speaker:Mr. Dwight Daodao
Administrative Officer IV
Municipal Tourism Action Officer - Designate

La Trinidad
Capital town of Benguet Province

La Trinidad Vegetable Trading Post (LTVTP)
Located at the back of La Trinidad Municipal Hall
A.K.A. “Benguet Trading post” and tagged as the marketing center for high value commercial crops in the Philippines •Trading Post comes originally from Western cowboy books

Background

Mid 1970’s

-La Trinidad is a sleepy town, with vegetable growing as its main economic activity. -Primary producers of salad crops
-Baguio City was the main marketing place for agricultural products and it experiences congestion in its main market place, causing traffic congestion, which is an indicator of development -The congestion causes spillover effects in La Trinidad, on its main highway mushroomed private bodegas for vegetable packing -Manila-based entrepreneurs established the HARANG SYSTEM (or the entry of middlemen)

Late 70’s and Early 80’s

-La Trinidad with economic and social changes; slight traffic, entrance of Manila-based Filipino-Chinese entrepreneurs -LGU government gets a US AID peace corps volunteer and was assigned to come up with a project feasibility study for a trading post which was then submitted in 1983

-LGU foresees boom in the vegetable industry, encourage farmers to go into high value cash crops such as strawberries and cutflowers
-Funding for the LTVTP was granted in early 1980’s through economic support fund -The project costs Php12.4M by which 30% was granted by the Philippine Government as a loan amounting to Php3.7M and the remaining 70% granted by the US AID Fund amounting to Php8.7M

Objectives
-House the wholesale trading operation of Benguet vegetable industry -Increase revenue based of farmers
-Serve as a venue for more effective and efficient system of marketing and distribution -Increase the LGU income

LTVTP Facilities
Total Area: 9,163 sq.m.
Bagsakan area: 1,125 sq.m.
Traders’ Area: 40 sq.m./booth @ 10 booths
Farmers’ Area:52.5 sq.m./booth @ 17 booths
Support facilities:380 sq.m.
-Offices
-Canteen
-Rest rooms

Bagsakan Area
-Operation period of 18 hours in average
-30 tons of biodegradable wastes in the average collected daily -3 trucks are collecting the wastes and 3 person are assigned for each truck

Operations and Management
Start of operations:1986
General supervision:Municipal Mayor
Office-in-charge:Trading Post Management Committee
Partners in management:
-Multi-Purpose Cooperative
-Federation of Benguet Farmers
-Traders’ Association
-Packers’ Association
Volume traded daily:over 1,500 tons/daily (assorted vegetables)
No. of Traders:more or less 200

Rental/Stall
Before 2006
BagsakanPhp5/hrPhp20/hr
Trader’s BoothPhp1,600/monthPhp130/sq.m./month
Producer’s BoothPhp2,100/monthPhp130/sq.m./month

Profit Generated
LTVTP generated Php28M profit for the year 2012 to which Php22M was allotted to electricity

Major Vegetables Traded
-Cabbage
-Potatoes
-Carrots
-Chinese cabbage
-Lettuce
-Beans
-Bell pepper
-Radish
-Chayote
-Celery
-Onions
-Tomatoes
-Sweet peas
-Cauliflower
-Broccoli

Distribution of Agricultural Produce
From: La Trinidad, Benguet
To:
-Tarlac
-Metro manila
-Batangas
-Cavite
-Bicol region
-Bataan
-Quezon province
-Zambales
-Nueva ecija
-La union
-Palawan
-Cagayan
-Cebu
-Mindanao

Effects of LTVTP: Spurred Economic Growth
Growth of Support Commerce to LTVTP
-Agricultural and construction supplies
-Food and grocery establishments

Population Growth
-Migration
-Intermarriage between highlanders and lowlanders

Growth of Educational Facilities

Rise in Building Construction for Residential and Commercial Use

The WTO and its effect on Agriculture
-Lowering of...
tracking img