He Authors of the Article Being Summarized, Nagel, Blignaut, and Cronje Discuss the Factors That Lead to a Successful Online Learning Community. Their Study Was Conducted on an Online Class at the University of Pretoria

Topics: Virtual learning environment, Learning management system, E-learning Pages: 6 (1685 words) Published: January 21, 2013
1.Read "Read-Only Participants: A Case for Student Communication in Online Classes" by Nagel, Blignaut, and Cronje. 2.After reading the Nagel, Blignaut, and Cronje article, write a 250-500 word summary of it. 3.Refer to the guidelines for writing an effective summary presented in the Module 2 lecture for use as a guide. Review the assignment rubric as well prior to beginning the assignment. 4.Be sure to include a discussion of the research problem, questions, method, findings, and implications discussed by the authors. 5.Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required. 6.This assignment uses a grading rubric that can be viewed at the assignment's submission box. 7.Submit the assignment to Turnitin

Read "A Case for Student Communication in Online Classes"
One can still learn even if they do not take a part in the online discussion (Beaudoin 2002). Read-only participants: a case for student communication in online classes was done to show the other side of Beaudoin’s article, Learning or lurking? Tracking the “invisible” online student. Nagel, Blignaut, and Cronje wanted to show how successful students are when they take advantage with in an online community. In order for a student to be able to succeed in any online course, the student must contribute as often as possible. Over eight weeks,, a web only based course was given at the University of Pretoria. And every week the student would do research, participate in discussions, web artifacts and later do a group assignment (Nagel, Blignaut, & Cronje, 2009). Through these assignments, Nagel, Blignaut, and Cronje were able to see how each of the students was able to relay on one another for help, and also giving feed back. The final grades were based on, 10% from the discussion pose and the other 90% came from research posting, web artifacts, group assignments, peer review, and final essays assignment (Nagel et al.).Though the study was conducted on the base to find out how well a student would do by participating, they also looked at those who did not and those who semi participated. Students were put into to three categories: the fail group ( 50% and less), Pass group (51% to 74%) and the Distinction group (75% and higher)(Nagel et al.). With the case study you can see that students had more success based on if they posted online, turned in assignments, or interacted with in the online community. Those who do not participate may need up failing or dropping out of school. No one really knows why there are students who would not interact... Summery 2

Article Summary: Read-Only Participants: A Case for Student Communication in Online Classes As technology advances more and more, computers and internet have become more accessible, affordable, and ever so popular in recent times. With easy accessibility to internet, the online learning environment is a growing trend. Schools all over the nation offer online programs and fast earning degrees. Students from different demographics and age groups fill online classrooms making it even more popular. However, with such diversity in the classroom how does the instructor control communication in the classroom? Does the lack of participation from fellow students influence the learning environment? What are some of the different types of students often found in the online classes environment? This article will summarize the main points found in a research based on a case study prepared by Nagel, Blignaut, and Cronjé. With extensive research, investigation, and observations Nagel et. al.(2007) put together an article highlighting the importance of communication in the online classes. Noticing a significant drop-out rate in online classes, they were determined to research what affected this rate and which aspects of the online classes were setting students behind. The authors used different methods to gather data to...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • traditional class vs online class Essay
  • Online Learning Essay
  • Essay on Online Vs Traditional Class
  • Successful Online Distance Learning Essay
  • UNV501 Online Scavenger Hunt Essay
  • Online Learning Essay
  • Online Communities. Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free