What is Criminal Justice
Chapter 1 - Multiple Choice:
Chose the most appropriate answer to the following questions:
1. Which of the following had a profound effect on individual rights by the 1980s? a. The Civil Rights movement.
b. The Vietnam War.
d. The increased use of drugs.
2. Which model below best assumes that the system’s components work together harmoniously to achieve justice. a. Due Process Model
b. Conflict Model
c. Individual Rights Model
d. Consensus Model
3. Which step in the pretrial activities does a judicial officer determine if a crime has been committed? a. Indictment
c. Preliminary Hearing
4. According to the author Race and Ethnicity are buzz words that people use when discussing: a. Religion
b. Fourth Amendment
5. Which of the following describes the scientific study of the causes and prevention of crime and the rehabilitation and punishment of offenders?
6. Which Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is concerned with the defendant’s right to a jury trial?
7. A(n)________ is defined as criminal proceedings, the examination in court of the issues of fact and relevant law in a case for the purpose of convicting or acquitting the defendant.
d. Probable Cause
8. Which of the following refers to crime fighting strategies that have been scientifically tested and are based on social science research?
a. Crime Control Model
b. Evidence Based Practice
c. Social Control Model
9. Which stage in the criminal justice process involves taking pictures and fingerprints of a suspect?
c. Preliminary Hearing
10. The first step in the Criminal Justice process begins with the:
11. The preliminary hearing is used to decide whether:
a. there are reasonable grounds to believe the defendant committed the crime. b. the crime that occurred is a felony.
c. the defendant is fit to stand trial.
d. the defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
12. An ideal that embraces all aspects of civilized life and that is linked to fundamental notions of fairness and to cultural beliefs about right and wrong is known as:
a. Equal rights
b. Social Justice
d. Civil Justice
13. Who returns an indictment?
a. the prosecutor
b. the judge
c. the arresting police officer
d. the grand jury
14. Multiculturalism is often used in conjunction with what other term? a. traditionalist
15. A criminal justice perspective model that emphasizes the efficient arrest and conviction of criminal offenders is known as:
a. Social Control Model
b. Due Process Model
c. Crime Control Model
d. Omnibus Bill Model
Chapter 1- True-False
Circle the most appropriate answer to the following questions.
1. The Conflict Model assumes that the criminal justice system’s components function primarily to serve their own interests a. True
2. The Corrections stage begins once a defendant has been convicted, but before sentencing. a. True
3. Due Process is a right guaranteed only found in the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. a. True
4. The Crime-controlled model is defined as a criminal justice perspective that emphasizes the efficient arrest and conviction of criminal offenders. a. True
5. Gideon v. Wainwright is a landmark U.S. Supreme Court case ensuring the defendant’s right to a jury trial. a. True
Chapter 1 - Fill in the Blank
Fill in the blank with the word or phrase that best completes or answers the...