Unit One Exam
1. Which of the following have scholars advanced as a possible explanation for the emergence of patriarchy in the First Civilizations? (A) The emergence of women as the primary source of labor in more intensive animal-drawn plow-based agriculture (B) The increased role of women outside the home
(C) The decline in birthrates that accompanied civilization (D) The emergence of large-scale warfare with professionally led armies (E) The frequent failure of women rulers to maintain peace 2. Which of the following constitutes historians’ usual definition of “civilization”? (A) A human culture
(B) A community of humans living together with a sense of common ancestry (C) A human society that includes cities and states
(D) A group of humans who recognize any form of social hierarchy (E) A group of humans who practice agriculture
3. Which of the following First Civilizations relied on squash, beans, and guava but no grains as its primary crops? (A) Mesopotamia
(B) Indus Valley
(E) Norte Chico
4. The map below supports the assertion that (A) everywhere agriculture developed independently a First Civilization also developed. (B) all First Civilizations developed along major rivers.
(C) all First Civilizations were about the same size.
(D) First Civilizations emerged independently in widely scattered locations. (E) First Civilizations were in regular contact with each other.
5. Kingship in the First Civilizations
(A) often depended on the belief that the office of king was divinely ordained. (B) relied exclusively on physical force and coercion.
(C) often depended in part on the authority of a written constitution. (D) often emerged with women as rulers, although everywhere they were rapidly replaced by men. (E) originated and were sustained entirely by the consent of the population. 6. Which of the following provided the primary economic foundation for civilization? (A) Slavery
(D) The army
7. What does the Ziggurat of Ur, pictured above, suggest about the Mesopotamian society that produced it? (A) Egypt had an important influence on Mesopotamian architecture. (B) Monumental public works had an important place in Mesopotamian society. (C) Trade with the Indus Valley influenced the layout and design of Mesopotamian cities. (D) Political rulers and priests were relatively unimportant in Mesopotamian civilization. (E) China had a remarkable influence on Mesopotamian culture. 8. Which of the following human accomplishments emerged with the First Civilizations? (A) Agriculture
(B) Village life
(E) Religious belief
9. Which of the First Civilizations experienced the greatest cultural continuity from its earliest formation into modern times? (A) Indus Valley
(C) Norte Chico
10. Which of the following was the last of the First Civilizations to emerge? (A) Olmec
(C) Norte Chico
(D) Indus Valley
11. Scholars have advanced which of the following as a possible explanation for the origins of the First Civilizations? (A) The settlement of peoples in particularly rich agricultural regions where there were no limits on the amount of land that could be cultivated (B) The end of the practice of slavery in a region
(C) The emergence of regions where no military elite took shape and peace reigned (D) The forced settlement of nomads by their agriculture neighbors (E) The need to organize large-scale irrigation projects
12. Which of the following was a feature of Egyptian rather than Mesopotamian civilization? (A) Salinization of the soil leading to a collapse in the production of wheat in most areas along the upper Nile (B) Frequent and devastating invasions of Egypt by outsiders because of a lack of physical barriers (C) Rivalry between autonomous Egyptian city-states
(D) A more cheerful and hopeful outlook on the...