Most of us have been exposed to reading since we were young but not many of us have the habit of reading for leisure.
- read only because they have to study for their examinations but reading is not only limited to study materials
- fun to read storybooks, novels, magazines, comics, newspapers and any other reading material that is of interest to us
a) Reading enhances our general knowledge.
- learn about various and cultures in other parts of the world - take us on a journey to these countries without traveling
- open our eyes to the world around us and teach us about the lives of other people in other countries
- also have the opportunity to learn more about things that are of interest to us through books
- example - interested in photography - read books and instructional guides on photography and photo-editing to improve our skills
- expose us to many things which we are not aware of
- National Geographic magazine often features strange animal behaviours and even unknown cultures in remote locations
b) Reading also trains our minds to be more imaginative.
- helps us to process new information faster and develop our ability to understand how other people think and feel
- more flexible in their thinking and are more open to new ideas - train our minds to think faster and more efficiently if we read more c) We can also improve our awareness of the current events worldwide by reading newspapers.
- knowing what is going on around us will also help us socialise with others by discussing the current issues with them
- need not solely rely to newspapers for news
- read real time news online via the Internet
- update the information on their websites every hour just to keep the readers updated with the latest events
d) Reading is important to help us improve our language proficiency. - exposing ourselves to the proper use of language
- improve our grammar and vocabulary