Africa, Ferben S.
November 24, 2008
E3A – EDURES
The Research Grid
Research Title : Factors affecting the academic performance of Level 7 students in De La Salle Lipa S.Y. 2001-2002
Researchers : Macalintal, Catherine., Pena, Lirio Leynes., Paraan, Jaimliel.
Year Conducted : March 2002
Research Problem : the study entails to determine the factors affecting the academic performance in mathematics of Level 7 students in De La Salle Lip S.Y. 2001-2002.
Specific Problem :
1. What is the level of the academic performance in mathematics of Level 7 students in De La Salle Lipa Unified School as revealed by their Academic Grades in Math during the first two quarters of the School Year?
2. Is there a significant difference between the academic performance of the male and female Level 7 students?
3. What are the factors that affect the academic performance of the students?
a. teaching styles used by the teacher
b. teacher-student relationship
c. classroom setting
d. emotional condition of the students
e. economic condition of the students
f. interest in the subject matter
Hypotheses : Ho – There is no significant difference between the academic performance in Mathematics of male and female students in De La Salle Lipa Unified School 2001-2002.
Research Design : The researchers used the descriptive analytic method of research that is designed to gather information about the present condition. This study used the academic record taken from the Registrar’s Office as it sought to describe the academic performance in Mathematics of the target respondents.
Primary Source of Data : The primary source of data were taken from various published and non-published materials contained in the various libraries used by the researchers.
Secondary Source of Data : the secondary source data were taken from the documents particularly the grades of students in the Record Section of De La Salle Lipa Registrar’s office.
Instruments : the researchers used the academic records in mathematics of the students and the self constructed questionnaire. The academic records were the grades of Level 7 Students in Mathematics during the first two quarters of the School Year 2001-2002. On the other hand, the self-constructed questionnaire talks about the factors affecting the academic performance of the students in Mathematics.
Sample : this study used a stratified random sampling technique to arrive to the total percentage of population sample. It involves 258 students consisting of 124 females and 134 males drawn from a total of 726 Level 7 population currently enrolled in De La Salle Lipa Unified School S.Y. 2001-2002.
1. The level of academic performance in mathematics of the students has a slight increase of 1.26 in the second quarter in which the average mean in the first quarter is 81.33 and 82.59 in the second quarter.
2. There is a significant difference on the academic performance in mathematics of the female and male as they approach the second quarter wherein the male performed well than the female as revealed by its probability of .012.
3. The students agree that the factors such as teaching styles used by the teacher, teacher-student relationship, classroom setting, emotional condition of the students, teacher-student relationship, economic status and interest of the students do affect their academic performance in Math.
4. Students can easily understand the lesson if the teacher uses visual aids such as cut-out cartolina, Manila paper, PowerPoint presentation.
5. Students can freely ask question regarding the discussions as well as they don’t feel any hesitation regarding the subject.
6. If the classroom is well-ventilated, students can perform well.
7. Students’ economic status is not a hindrance for them to excel in the class.
Conclusion : The six factors discussed in the study : teaching styles used by the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document