Information Communication Educational Technology (ICET)
Class : B.ed
Question : Define ICET and its characterstics. Explain its application in educational processes/classroom/teachinglearning/schools/ colleges. Answer: "Globalization and technological changes have created a new global economy powered by technology, fueled by information anddriven by knowledge."
The emergence of this new global economy has serious implications for the nature and purpose of educational institutions.As the access to information continues to grow rapidly, schools cannot be contented with the limited knowledge to be transmitted in a fixed period of time. They have to become compatible to the ever expanding knowledge and also be equipped with the technology to deal with this knowledge.
Information and communication technologies (ICTs) — which include radio and television, as well as newer digital technologies such as computers and the Internet — have been proven as potentially powerful tools for educational change and reform. When used appropriately, different ICTs can help expand access to education, strengthen the relevance of education to the increasingly digital workplace, and raise educational quality by helping make teaching and learning into an active process connected to real life. DEFINITION : 1."ICT stand for information and communication technologies and is defined, as a "diverse set of technological tools and resources used to communicate, and to create, disseminate, store, and manage information."
2. "ICT implies the technology which consists of electronic devices and associated human interactive materials that enable the user to employ them for a wide range of teaching – learning processes in addition to personal use." These technologies include computers, the Internet,broadcasting technologies (radio and television), and telephony.
3. "ICT is that technology which uses the information to meet human need or purposes including processing and exchanging."
4. "Information and communications technology (ICT) in education is the processing of information and its communications facilities and features that variously support teaching, learning and a range of activities in education."
5. Information Technology is a scientific, technological and engineerning discipline and management technique used in handing the information, it‘s application and association with social, economical and cultural matters. ( UNSECO)
6. Information technology is a systemic study of artifacts that can be used to give form to facts inorder to provide meaning for decision making, and artifacts that can be used for organization, processing, communication and application of information.(- Darnton and Giacoletto)
All these definitions combine Communication technology and Information technology that have thin line between them but cannot do away without each other. When these technologies are applied in the field of education, it is termed as ICT in education. The term too can be used as the connotation to the term Educational; technology because it also uses any hardware and software approaches that can enhance yield better learning outcomes. In the era of Computer Technology the term ICT mainly focuses on the infrastructure, devices and sources of computer technology and thus it is imperative to discuss about the use of ICT in education by focusing mainly on Computer based technology.
PRINCIPLE OF ICT IN EDUCATION
1. ICT in education is any hardware and software technology that contribute in the educational information processing. In the context of present era, ICT mainly comprises of Computer technology with its hardware, like, Personal computer machine, infrastructure required for setting up Internet...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document