BORACAY – Malay , Aklan Philippines Tourism came to the island beginning in about the 1970s. The name Boracay is attributed to different origins. One story says that it is derived from the local word "borac" which means white cotton with characteristics close to the color and texture of Boracay's white sugary and powdery sand. Another credits the name to local words "bora," meaning bubbles, and "bocay," meaning white. Yet another version dating back to the Spanish era says the name is derived from "sagay," the word for shell, and "boray," the word for seed. It makes essential because of the beautiful iconic spot you can found in Boracay the perfect weather for the tourist and the most captivating landscape in the Philippines , you can also experience many leisure activities that you may enjoy in Boracay.
SAN AGUSTIN CHURCH – Intramuros Manila , Founded 1970 The present structure is actually the third Augustinian church erected on the site. The first San Agustin Church was the first religious structure constructed by the Spaniards Made of bamboo and nipa, it was completed in 1571, but destroyed by fire in December, 1574 during the attempted invasion of Manila by the forces of Limahong. A second church made of wood was constructed on the site. This was destroyed in February 1583, in a fire The Augustinians decided to rebuild the church using stone, and to construct an adjacent monastery. The massive structure of the church, the symmetry and splendor of the interiors the profile of the mouldings, which appear as three-dimensional carvings, a baroque pulpit with the native pineapple as a motif, the grand pipe organ, the antechoir with a 16th-century crucifix, the choir seats carved in molave with ivory inlays of the 17th century and the set of 16 huge and beautiful chandeliers from Paris. to be designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, under the collective titleBaroque Churches of the Philippines. It was named a National Historical Landmark by the Philippine government in 1976 That’s why it is essential
BANAUE RICE TERRACES – Nueva Vizcaya , Banaue Ifugao , are 2,000-year-old terraces that were carved into the mountains of Ifugao in the Philippines by ancestors of theindigenous people. It is commonly thought that the terraces were built with minimal equipment, largely by hand. The rice terraces are a memorial to the history and labour of more than a thousand generations of small-scale farmers who, working together as a community, have created a landscape based on a delicate and sustainable use of natural resources that resulted from a harmonious interaction between people and its environment that’s why it is consider As one of the Eight Wonders of the World because throught it’s sustainability of natural resources.
MAYON VOLCANO – Legazpi Albay , The most destructive eruption of Mayon occurred on February 1, 1814 (VEI=4). Lava flowed but not as much compared to the 1766 eruption; Instead, the volcano was belching dark ash and eventually bombarded the town of Cagsawa with tephra that buried it. Trees were burned; rivers were certainly damaged. Proximate areas were also devastated by the eruption, with ash accumulating to 9 m (30 ft) in depth. In Albay, a total of 2,200 locals perished in what is considered to be the most lethal eruption in Mayon's history; estimates by PHIVOLCS list the casualties at about 1,200, however. The eruption is believed to have contributed to the accumulation of atmospheric ash, capped by the catastrophic eruption of Mount Tambora in 1815, that led to the Year Without a Summer in 1816.
TAAL VOLCANO – San Nicolas Batangas Philippines – It is the smallest active volcano in the World. Over thirty eruptions has been recorded in Taal Volcano.
LAKE TAAL OR TAAL LAKE - Since the large caldera , or a large volcanic eruption of Taal Volcano , there is this formation what we called Lake Taal or Taal Lake the subsequent eruptions created another volcanic island within Taal Lake known as Volcano Island.
CHOCOLATE HILLS – Carmen Bohol , this hills are made up of limestone , it contains abundant fossils of shallow marine corals , The origin for the conical karst of the Chocolate Hills is described in popular terms on the bronze plaque at the viewing deck in Carmen, Bohol. This plaque states that they are eroded formations of a type of marine limestone that sits on top of hardened clay. The most famous and signature tourist attraction of Bohol, it is a prime tourist destination in the Philippines. The national government has chosen the Chocolate Hills as one of its "flagship tourist destinations". They are featured in the provincial flag and seal to symbolize the abundance of natural attractions in the province. They are in the Philippine Tourism Authority's list of tourist destinations in the Philippines; they have been declared the country's third National Geological Monument and proposed for inclusion in the UNESCOWorld Heritage List.
Tubbataha REEF – Cagayancillo , Philippines The word tubbataha is a combination of two Samal words: tubba and taha, which together means "a long reef exposed at low tide". Historically, Samal people who have a nomadic lifestyle, visit the reef from time to time. Although people from the islands of Cagayancillo are frequent visitors of the reef. They used the native vessel banka to sail and fish on "Gusong", their local name for the Tubbataha. It was declared a World Heritage Site by the (UNESCO) in December 1993 and falls under the protective management of the Department of National Defense (DND) of the Philippines. It is under technical supervision by the Palawan Council for Sustainable Development (PCSD) and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR). In 1999, Ramsar listed Tubbataha as one of the Wetlands of International Importance because of the variety of its marine life species and valuable role as a habitat for various animals. Over 1000 species of marine life inhabit the reef with many considered as endangered. Animal species found include manta rays, lionfish, sea turtles, clownfish, and sharks. Tubbataha has become a popular site for seasoned sport diversbecause of its coral "walls" where the shallow coral reef abruptly ends giving way to great depths. These "walls" are also habitats for many colonies of fish.
Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park
Puerto Princesa Palawan
is a protected area of the Philippines located about 80 kilometres (50 mi) north of the city centre of Puerto Princesa, Palawan. The river is also called Puerto Princesa Underground River. The entrance to the subterranean river is a short hike or boat ride from the town Sabang. In 2010, a group of environmentalists and geologists discovered that the underground river has a second floor, which means that there are small waterfalls inside the cave. They also found a cave dome measuring 300 m (980 ft) above the underground river, rock formations, large bats, a deep water hole in the river, The area also represents a habitat for biodiversity conservation. The site contains a full mountain-to-the-sea ecosystem and has some of the most important forests in Asia. It was inscribed byUNESCO as a World Heritage Site on December 4, 1999.
RIZAL PARK – Roxas Blvd, Ermita, Manila, Metro Manila is a historical urban park Rizal Park's history began in 1820 when the Paseo de Luneta was completed just south of the walls of Manila on a marshy patch of land next to the beach during the Spanish rule. Prior to the park, the marshy land was the location of a small town called Nuevo Barrio (New Town or Bagumbayan in Tagalog language) that dates back to 1601.
MALAPASCUA – malapscua cebu
Religiously, Malapascua Island or barangay Logon is believed to be the place where the Virgin de los Desamparados made a miracle sometime in 1890 when the island had only nine households of the Monteclar, Deogrades, Rosales, Gulfan, Rubio, Bohol and Bruces families. It was said to be a piece of wood that had never burnt. In 1907 the parish priest of Kandaya, now Daanbantayan town, Rev. Fr. Inocentes Maga, baptized it of its name upon the request of the local residents. Malapascua became famous fairly recently, only in the early 1990s as a dive destination. Prior to this, the island was known for its wide white sand beach, known as Bounty Beach;
FORT SANTIAGO - , along pasig river Manila Philippines.
The fort is one of the most important historical sites in Manila. Several lives were lost in its prisons during the Spanish Colonial Period and World War II. José Rizal, the Philippine national hero, was imprisoned here before his execution in 1896. Location of Fort Santiago was once the site of a palisaded fort, armed with bronze guns, of Rajah Sulaiman, a Muslim chieftain of pre-Hispanic Manila. It was destroyed by maestre de campo (master-of-camp) Martin de Goiti who, upon arriving in 1570 from Cebu, fought several battles with the Muslim natives. The Spaniards started building Fort Santiago (Fuerte de Santiago) after the establishment of the city of Manila under Spanish rule on June 24, 1571, and made Manila the capital of the newly colonized islands. The first fort was a structure of palm logs and earth. Most of it was destroyed when the city was invaded by Chinese pirates led by Limahong. Martin de Goiti was killed during the siege. After a fierce conflict, the Spaniards under the leadership of Juan de Salcedo, eventually drove the pirates out to Pangasinan province to the north, and eventually out of the country.(pp32–44)The construction of Fort Santiago with hard stone, together with the original fortified walls of Intramuros,
MALACANANG PALACE – SAN MIGUEL , METRO MANILA
The original structure was built in 1750 by Don Luís Rocha as a summer house along the Pasig River. The official etymology from the 1930s says the name comes from the Tagalog phrase "May lakán diyán" ("there is a nobleman there"), and as it was originally the home of a wealthy Spanish aristocrat merchant by the river. The Spaniards meanwhile claimed the name came from the term "mámalakaya", referring to the fishermen who once laid out their catch on the river bend where the Palace now stands. A more mundane claim is that the Palace was christened after the old name of street along which it was located, Calzada de Malacañáng (English: Malacañang Street). MACTAN - Being one of the major tourist Islands of Cebu, Mactan Island boasts of a diverse collection of tourist spots and attractions. Being a coral island, Mactan offers some of the best diving, snorkeling, island hopping, jet ski, sailing and cultural activities of any island in the Philippines. The only aquarium attraction in the Visayas is also located on the island. Mangubat /mang-gubat/ is a Filipino surname of Mactan Island origin. It used to mean " to wage war ". The term Mangubat was derived from two words "Mang" (to do) and "Gubat" (war). Gubat It means War, from words in the Visayas language, in Northern Luzon,[a] in Mindanao, and in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.[b] This nickname was given to the original inhabitants of Mactan Island in the 16th century by both the Spaniards and their native allies they fought.[c] The Hispanized version of Mangubat is Manguerra.
Villa Escudero Plantations – San Pablo Laguna
Villa Escudero Plantations was founded in 1872 by Don Plácido Escudero and his wife Doña Claudia Marasigan. Originally a sugar cane plantation, the crop was converted to coconut by their son, Don Arsenio Escudero in the early 1900s. A pioneering agriculture industrialist, he built the country’s first working hydroelectric plant - Labasin Dam - to supply his desiccated coconut factory and the Escudero Plantation house, which he and his wife Doña Rosario Adap built in 1929. The plantation was opened to the public in 1981 as a tourist attraction, offering glimpses of plantation life is 800 hectares (2,000 acres) of working coconut plantation and hacienda located 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) south of the city of San Pablo, Laguna province on the border with Quezon province in the Philippines. Since 1981, the plantation has opened its doors as a resort offering village tours, museum tour, food and accommodations. It has developed a worldwide reputation as a focal point to experience Philippine culture and history in a beautiful rural setting.
MOUNT PINATUBO – PROVINCE OF ZAMBALES , PAMPANGA , TARLAC Aeta elders tell many stories about the history of the mountain, the best known being that it was once a Batung Mabye (Kapampangan language for "living stone"). It was said to have been planted on a kingdom by a displeased sorcerer but relocated by a hero. The mountain was soon turned into the abode of Apo Namalyari ("The lord of happenings/events"), the pagan deity of the Sambal, Aeta, and Kapampangans living on the Zambales range. Mount Pinatubo's summit before the 1991 eruption was 1,745 m (5,725 ft) above sea level, only about 600 m (2,000 ft) above nearby plains, and only about 200 m (660 ft) higher than surrounding peaks, which largely obscured it from view. It is part of a chain of volcanoes which lie along the western side of the edge of the island of Luzon called the Zambales Mountains. Pinatubo belongs to the Cabusilan Mountains, the central range of the Zambales Mountains, which consists of Mt. Cuadrado, Mt. Negron, Mt. Mataba and Mt. Pinatubo. They are subduction volcanoes, formed by the Eurasian Plate sliding under the Philippine Mobile Belt along the Manila Trench to the west. Mount Pinatubo and the other volcanoes on this volcanic belt arise due to magma occlusion from this subduction plate boundary.
MINES VIEW PARK – BENGUET BAGUIO
There is no doubt that the Mines View Park is one of the most popular and most visited park in the city. From the observation deck of the park a breathtaking panoramic view of Benguet's gold and copper mines and the surrounding mountains unfolds before you. It is a spectacular sight to behold and should not be missed when visiting Baguio. It overlooks the mining town of Itogon and offers a glimpse of the Amburayan Valley. An abandoned mine, used by early Ibaloi/Igorot peoples, is viewed from the said tourist spot. PAGSANJAN FALLS – IT IS LOCATED IN THE PROVINCE OF LAGUNA , CAVINTI Pagsanjan Falls (indigenous name: Magdapio Falls) is one of the most famous waterfalls in the Philippines. Located in the province of Laguna, According to history, the Pagsanjan Falls is rich in legendary lore. Long, long ago, recounts one legend, there were no falls. There were only the foliaged highlands, the twin rivers called Bumbungan and Balanac, and the alluvial delta where the town of Pagsanjan now nestles. On the eastern bank of the Bumbungan River lived two old brothers named Balubad and Magdapio. For many years, the two brothers enjoyed a rustic life of peace and happiness. But one day calamity struck. A terrible drought brought ruin and death; no rains came for successive months. The soil became dry as tinder. The blooming flowers and food plants withered and died. The birds, deer, wild hogs, monkeys, and other animals disappeared. The rivers, creeks, and mineral springs dried up. Not a single drop of life-giving rain fell from heaven. he falls is one of the major tourist attractions of the region. The three-drop waterfall is reached by a river trip on dugout canoe, known locally as Shooting the rapids, originating from the municipality of Pagsanjan. The falls can also be reached from the top by a short hike from Cavinti. The boat ride has been an attraction since the Spanish Colonial Era with the oldest written account in 1894. The town of Pagsanjan lies at the confluence of two rivers, the Balanac River and the Bumbungan River (also known as the Pagsanjan River).
the Ayala Museum is run privately by Ayala Foundation, Inc – MAKATI AVENUE the museum has been committed to showcasing overseas collections and situating contemporary Philippine art in the global arena in a two-way highway of mutual cooperation and exchange with local and international associates Envisioned during the 1950s by Philippine abstract painter Fernando Zóbel de Ayala y Montojo, as a museum of Philippine history and iconography, the Ayala Museum was built in 1967 as a project of the Ayala Foundation, Inc. (then known as the Filipinas Foundation, Inc). The museum moved to its new building designed by Leandro V. Locsin and partners, led by Leandro Y. Locsin, Jr. It was formally dedicated as the Ayala Corporation’s gift to the Filipino people on its 170th anniversary on September 28, 2004 The Rizal Shrine (intramuros) dedicated to the lifework of José Rizal is located on Santa Clara Street, Fort Santiago, Intramuros, Manila, 1002 Philippines. This is a fortified complex which houses the building the Philippines' national hero spent his last night and where his family later found concealed in an oil lamp, the famous poem Mi último adiós (My Last Farewell). The shrine is home to various memorabilia such as the shells he collected in Dapitan, books, manuscripts and artworks belonging to the prodigious and multifaceted Rizal. Fort Santiago served as barracks for Spanish artillery soldiers during Spain's colonization of the islands.
MANILA OCEAN PARK – QUIRINO GRANDSTAND METRO MANILA
The Manila Ocean Park is owned by China Oceanis Philippines Inc., a subsidiary of China Oceanis Group Ltd (COG). It specializes in the investment, building, and operation of public aquariums and oceanariums. The Group owns and operates two Underwater World facilities in China, in the cities of Chongqing and Qinghuangdao. It opened March 1 , 2008
CEBU TAOIST TEMPLE – LAHUG CEBU
Built in 1972, the Cebu Taoist Temple is located in Beverly Hills Subdivision in Cebu City, Philippines. The temple was built by Cebu's substantial Chinese community. With an elevation of 300 metres (980 ft) above sea level, the temple is a towering, multi-tiered, multi-hued attraction accessible by three separate winding routes. The entrance to the temple is a replica of the Great Wall of China. The temple includes a chapel, a library, a souvenir shop and a wishing well. The spacious balconies offer a scenic view of the downtown Cebu. The temple is the center of worship for Taoism, the religion which follows the teachings of the ancient Chinese philosopher, Lao Zi. Another ritual among Taoist devotees, which is done during Wednesdays and Sundays, is the climbing of its 81 steps (representing the 81 chapters of Taoism scriptures) to light joss sticks and have their fortune read by the monks.
Mount Apo is a large solfataric, potentially-active stratovolcano in the island of Mindanao, Philippines. (DAVAO CITY AND DAVAO DEL SUR PROVINCE) On May 9, 1936, Mount Apo was declared a national park with Proclamation no. 59 by President Manuel L. Quezon, it is the highest mountain in the Philippine Archipelago and is located between Davao City and Davao del Sur province in Region XI The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) submitted Mount Apo on December 12, 2009 for inclusion in the UNESCO world heritage list. The mountain is considered by DENR as the center of endemism in Mindanao. It has one of the highest land-based biological diversity in terms of flora and fauna per unit area. It has three distinct forest formations, from lowland tropical rainforest, to mid-mountain forests, and finally to high mountain forests.
QUIAPO CHURCH – QUIAPO MANILA PHIL.
The Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene (canonically known as Saint John the Baptist Parish and colloquially known as Quiapo Church) is a prominent Roman Catholic Latin-rite basilica located in the District of Quiapo in the City of Manila, Philippines. The basilica is famous home for the shrine of the Black Nazarene, a dark statue of Jesus Christ many faithfully claim to be miraculous. The parish is under the Archdiocese of Manila and its current rector is Rev. Msgr. Jose Clemente Ignacio. The early church built by the Franciscan Missionaries was made of bamboo for the frame and nipa palm as thatching. In 1574, Limahong and his soldiers destroyed and burned the church. The English attempted to destroy the church in 1762. An earthquake in 1863 destroyed the church and in its place a temporary church was built. Corregidor Island, locally called Isla ng Corregidor, is an island located at the entrance of Manila Bay in southwestern part of Luzon Island in the Philippines The island came under Spanish sovereignty since May 19, 1570 when Miguel Lopez de Legazpi and his forces arrived in Manila Bay. Legazpi was authorized by the Spanish Crown to establish the capital of the Philippines in Manila, and convert the Muslims from Luzon and Mindanao to Christianity. Corregidor was used as a support site for the nine Spanish galleys used during the campaign. During World War II, Corregidor played an important role during the invasion and liberation of the Philippines from Japanese forces. Heavily bombarded in the latter part of the war, the ruins left on the island serve as a military memorial to American, Filipino and Japanese soldiers who served or lost their lives on the island. Corregidor is one of the important historic and tourist sites in the country.
BASILICA DEL SANTO NINO CEBU - the Minor Basilica of the Holy Child (Spanish: Basílica Menor del Santo Niño), commonly known as Santo Niño Church, is a minor basilica in Cebu City in the Philippines that was founded in the 1565. It is the oldest Roman Catholic church established in the country on the spot where the image of the Santo Niño de Cebú The church of the Holy Child was founded by an Augustinian priest, Andrés de Urdaneta, on April 28, 1565. The first church and convent were built out of earth, hard wood and nipa. Both structures burned down on November 1, 1566. In 1605, Rev. Pedro Torres started the construction of its replacement. The second church was completed in 1626, but was also destroyed by fire, in March 1628. It was rebuilt immediately under the administration of Rev. Juan de Medina with stone and bricks, but construction was stopped because of problems with the integrity of the bricks being used The Church and Convent of Santo Niño was declared a National Historical Landmark in 1941 Hundred Islands National Park (Pangasinan)
The islands are believed to be about two million years old. They are actually ancient corals that extend well inland, in an area previously comprising the seabed of an ancient sea. The lowering of the sea level have exposed them to the surface. The peculiar "mushroom-like" shapes of some of the islands were caused by the eroding action of the ocean waves. The national park was created by Presidential Proclamation No. 667, covering an area of 16.76 square kilometres (6.47 sq mi) and signed by President Manuel L. Quezon on January 18, 1940, for the benefit and enjoyment of the people of the Philippines and known as the Hundred Islands National Park (HINP). NATIONAL MUSEUM OF THE PHILIPPINES – rizal park ermita Philippines is the official repository established in 1901 as a natural history and ethnography museum of the Philippines. The museum complex is located next to Rizal Park and near Intramuros in Manila. It houses the Spoliarium, a famous painting of Juan Luna. The National Art Gallery is housed in the old congress building. The building was originally intended as a Public Library as proposed in Daniel Burnham's 1905 Plan for Manila. Designed by Ralph Harrington Doane, the American consulting architect of the Bureau of Public Works, and his assistant Antonio Toledo. Construction of the building began in 1918 and completed in 1921. The Museum of the Filipino People (Filipino: Museo ng Lahing Pilipino), - Rizal Park, Manila is a component museum of the National Museum of the Philippines that houses the anthropology and archaeology divisions. It is located in the Agrifina Circle, Rizal Park, Manila adjacent to the main National Museum building which houses the National Art Gallery. The building formerly housed the Department of Finance. It also houses the wreck of the San Diego, ancient artifacts, and zoology divisions
CEBU METROPOLITAN CATHEDRAL – CEBU CITY
Before dispatching to the Philippines, Legazpi was mandated to build a church near the assigned fort by the Spanish Crown. When the Spaniards landed in Cebu, it was the feast of St. Vidal (April 28, 1565) and “[t]hey honored the saint as their patron and advocate. His feast is kept every year, and his day observed.” On May 8, 1565, “'[t]he sites for the Spanish quarters and the church [of St. Vitales] were chosen' and the site of the house where the Sto. Niño was found 'as the site of the Monastery of the Name of Jesus [now Basilica del Santo Niño] . . . and from the said house the child Jesus was brought to the... church in solemn procession, and with the great devotion, rejoicing, and gladness of all the men. Arriving at the church, they all adored it, and placed it on the principal altar, and all vowed to observe, sanctify, and celebrate solemnly as a feast day each year, the day on which it had been found.'” Juan de Medina, prior of the Sto. Niño convent (circa 1603), alluded to the days of discovery of the Sto. Niño and said the tradition was continued that the image was “taken out, and carried in procession to the cathedral, after a paper has been signed, by decree of the justice, that it will be given back to the same religious.”  the ecclesiastical seat of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Cebu in Cebu, Philippines cebu was established as a diocese on August 14, 1595. During World War II, much of the cathedral was destroyed by Allied bombings of the city. Only the belfry (built in 1835), the facade, and the walls remained. IT WAS QUICKLY BUILT IN 1950.
Museo Sugbo – mj cuenco avenue
is housed in what was once called Cárcel de Cebú, the provincial jail of Cebu. was originally proposed as the Cárcel del Distrito, the main prison for the Visayas District. This accounts for its relatively large size at the time it was built. The gaol housed not only criminals in its 135-year history. During the revolution, many of the Katipuneros were incarcerated here without trial and many of them were eventually executed in nearby Carreta cemetery. During the early years of the American period, the gaol served as a stable for horses competing at the hipódromo (racetrack) nearby, but it was eventually used once again as a prison, both for the city and the province. is the Cebu Provincial Museum located in the former Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC), four blocks from Plaza Independencia.
Enchanted kingdom – santa rosa laguna
The park was conceptualized by the Landmark Entertainment Group and while the entrance is somewhat resemblant of Disneyland, the rest of the park is modeled after Universal Studios. It was built at a cost of ₱1.2 billion, or $27,069,600 USD (2013). The park first opened to the public on October 19, 1995.
APO REEF – OCCIDENTAL MINDORO
is a coral reef system in the Philippines situated on the western waters of Occidental Mindoro province in the Mindoro Strait The main geographical feature of Apo Reef is submerged, but three islands mark it on the surface: the Apo Island, Apo Menor (locally known as Binangaan) and Cayos del Bajo ("Keys of the bank", locally known as Tinangkapan). The islands are uninhabited. Since the declaration of “no-take-zone” policy at Apo Reef Natural Park in 2007, only protected area personnel and members of the Task Force MARLEN (Marine and Apo Reef Law Enforcement for Nature), who are task to implement protection and conservation work at the park, stays in the protected area on weekly shifts.
Coron Island – PALAWAN
is the third-largest island in the Calamian Islands in northern Palawan in the Philippines. The island is part of the ancestral domain of the indigenous Tagbanwa people. Known as Calis among the Tagbanwas and Coronians, its tribal chieftain is Rodolfo Aguilar I. Dive sites around Coron include many different reef dive sites and "Günter´s Cave", also known as Cathedral Cave because during a certain time of the day, the sun throws a beam of light through a hole in the cave ceiling, illuminating the inside. It is possible to surface in the cave, as the hole in the cave-ceiling allows fresh air to enter. The cave is named after Günther Bernert, who was part of the first dive group to explore the cave, after hearing from local fishermen about its existence. The aquatic views from the sunken Japanese ships off Coron Island are listed in Forbes Traveler Magazine’s top-10 best scuba diving sites in the world.[
The Baroque Churches of the Philippines is the official designation to a collection of four Spanish-era churches in the Philippines, upon its inscription to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2003. They are also one of the most treasured in the Country. The collection is composed of the following:
San Agustin Church in Manila
Santa Maria Church in Santa Maria, Ilocos Sur
San Agustin Church in Paoay, Ilocos Norte
Sto. Tomas de Villanueva Church in Miag-ao, Iloilo
These churches have been at the forefront of Philippine history, not just in furthering Christianity in the archipelago, but in serving as the political backbone of Spanish colonial rule, when Church and State were regarded as one. The unique architecture of the churches did not just reflect the adaptation of Spanish/Latin American architecture to the local environment (including the fusion with Chinese motifs), but also of the Church's political influence.
SINULOG – ANNUAL CULTURAL
The Sinulog is an annual cultural and religious festival held on the third Sunday of January in Cebu City On April 15, 1521, the Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan arrived and planted the cross on the shores of Cebu, claiming the territory for Spain. He presented the image of the child Jesus, the Santo Niño, as baptismal gift to Hara Amihan, wife of Rajah Humabon. Hara Humamay (or Amihan in some versions) was later named, Queen Juana in honor of Juana, mother of Carlos I. Along with the rulers of the island, some 800 natives were also baptized to the Roman Catholic Church. At the moment of receiving the holy image, it was said that Queen Juana danced with joy bearing this image of the child Jesus. With the other natives following her example, this moment was regarded as the first Sinulog. This event is frequently used as basis for most Sinulog dances, which dramatize the coming of the Spaniards and the presentation of the Santo Niño to the Queen. A popular theme among Sinulog dances is Queen Juana holding the Santo Niño in her arms and using it to bless her people who are often afflicted by sickness caused by demons and other evil spirits.
The word Sinulog comes from the Cebuano adverb sulog which roughly means "like water current movement;" it describes the forward-backward movement of the Sinulog dance.
ESSENTIAL : The Sinulog commemorates the Filipino people's acceptance of Christianity (specifically, Roman Catholicism), and their rejection of their former animist beliefs. The first of these conversions happened in 1521 on the island of Cebu, when Rajah Humabon and his queen Amihan (Humamay )were baptised along with their subjects, becoming Carlos and Juana of Cebu.
Maria Cristina Falls ILIGAN CITY MINDANAO
is a waterfall of the Agus River on the island of Mindanao. It is sometimes called the "twin falls" as the flow is separated by a rock at the brink of the waterfall. It is a landmark of Iligan City, nicknamed the City of Majestic Waterfalls, What’s so amazing about the falls is that its water power is able to provide electricity to a major part of Iligan City, a city known for its large industries and manufacturing plants, as well as many parts of Mindanao!
Roman Catholic churches in Bohol are a distinct group of churches established during the early Spanish colonial period on the island-province of Bohol in the Philippines. Four of these churches – Baclayon, Loboc, Loon, and Maribojoc – have been declared National Cultural Treasures for their cultural, historical and architectural importance to the Filipino people.
Our Lady of Atonement Cathedral, better known as Baguio Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic cathedral located at Cathedral Loop adjacent to Session Road in Baguio City, The site where the cathedral currently stands was a hill referred to as Kampo by the Ibaloi people. In 1907, a Catholic mission was established at the site by Belgian missionaries from theCongregatio Immaculati Cordis Mariae, which they later called Mount Mary. Construction of the cathedral itself began in 1920 under the leadership of the parish priest, Rev Florimond Carlu. The building was completed and consecrated in 1936, receiving dedication toOur Lady of Atonement. During the Second World War, the cathedral was an evacuation centre, and it withstood the carpet-bombing of Baguio by Allied forces during liberation on 15 March 1945. The remains of the thousands that had died in the bombardment are interred within the cathedral precinct. The cathedral has a distinctive pink façade with a rose window and twin square belfries with pyramidal roofs. Within its large courtyard is a viewing deck that overlooks Session Road and the downtown commercial district of Baguio. The cathedral is accessible to pedestrians from Session Road via 100-step stone staircase that ends at a Calvary, or through the adjacent campus of Saint Louis University.
Pamalican Island is a small island of the Cuyo Islands in the Sulu Sea, between Palawan and Panay, The island was originally exploited as a struggling family-owned plantation. It was then purchased by Andrés Soriano Jr., a successful businessman. His children then decided to build a resort on the island and leased the management responsibility to establish an exclusive resort. The island is private property and belongs in totality to 7 Seas Resort (owned by the Sorianos). It is part of the high-end resort group, Aman Resorts, under the name Amanpulo. Lake Caliraya - laguna , quezon
is a man-made lake situated in the municipalities of Lumban, Cavinti, and Kalayaan in Laguna province, Philippines. Created in 1939, the lake has developed as a popular spot for water sports and outdoor recreation including fishing. Surrounding the lake are a number of resorts catering to tourists and vacation homes abound because of the beautiful scenery and favorable climate. Lake Caliraya was created after the construction of Caliraya Dam, an embankment dam started in 1939 by US Army Corps of Engineers Chief in the Philippines, Lieutenant Colonel (later Major General) Hugh J. Casey, with the approval of Philippine Commonwealth President Manuel L. Quezon. The Caliraya River was dammed at its outlet from a large flat plateau area providing a large water reservoir for generating hydroelectric power for Southern Luzon. The dam was over 100 feet (30 m) high from which a diversion canal was constructed several miles to the head of a steep slope about 950 feet above Laguna de Bay. Largepenstocks were constructed diverting water down to the powerhouse below, with tailrace to the bay. The high head permitted the use of high-speed turbines and generators at relatively low unit costs. Initial estimate for the project was $5 million, or 10 million pesos, and an output of 40,000 horsepower.
Cultural Center of the Philippines - metro manila
Before the turn of the 20th century, artistic performances were primarily held in plazas and other public places around the country. In Manila, the Manila Grand Opera House, constructed in the mid-19th Century, served as the primary venue for many stage plays, operas and zarzuelas and other notable events of national significance. 3 Events and programs 3.1 Resident companies
5 Facilities and performance venues
5.1 Tanghalang Pambansa
5.1.3 Exhibit halls
5.2 Tanghalang Fransico Balagtas
The Lion's Head is a famous attraction along Kennon Road, a major highway in Luzon, Philippines that leads to Baguio City. Located in Camp 6, the Lion's Head measures 40 ft (12 m) in height. It was conceptualized by the Lions Club members of Baguio City, during the term of Luis Lardizabal as mayor of Baguio City from 1969 to 1970 and as the club's president, to become the club's symbol or imprint in the area. Prior to the artistic sculpting, the limestone was prepared by a group of engineers and miners, then the "actual artistic carving of the façade" was rendered by Reynaldo Lopez Nanyac, an Ifugao artist and woodcarver from the Cordillera Administrative Region. The construction project began in 1968 but was interrupted. The project was continued in 1971 by another Lions Club president, Robert Webber, and was unveiled in 1972.
Kennon Road (formerly, the Benguet Road
The construction of the road commenced in 1903 by cutting across the mountains of Benguet with the combined efforts of Filipinos, Americans, Filipino-Chinese and Japanese nationals. It was considered one of the most difficult and expensive civil engineering projects of its day, with expenditures by the newly established colonial government in excess of $2.7 million. More than 2,300 foreign and local workers worked on the road. Kennon Road is one of the most hazardous roads in the Philippines, especially during rainy seasons, when road accidents are common. The road is closed during heavy rains or typhoon conditions to avoid casualties from landslides[ La Mesa Watershed and Eco-Park Quezon city
consists of the La Mesa Dam and an ecological nature reserve site in Quezon City commissioned in 1929 in the Philippines It is part of the Angat-Ipo-La Mesa water system, which supplies most of the water supply of Metro Manila. The La Mesa Dam is an earth dam whose reservoir can hold up to 50.5 million cubic meters and occupying an area of 27 square kilometers. oth water companies are privateconcessionaires awarded by the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System, the government agency in charge of water supply. It is a vital link to the water requirements of 12 million residents of Metro Manila considering that 1.5 million liters of water pass through this reservoir everyday. It is also the last forest of its size in the metropolis.
Kadayawan Festival is an annual festival in the city of Davao in the Philippines. Its name derives from the friendly greeting "Madayaw", from the Dabawenyo word "dayaw", meaning good, valuable, superior or beautiful. The festival is a celebration of life, a thanksgiving for the gifts of nature, the wealth of culture, the bounties of harvest and serenity of living. It was said that, long time ago, Davao's ethnic tribes residing at the foot of Mount Apo would converge during a bountiful harvest. This ritual serves as their thanksgiving to the gods particularly to the "Manama" (the Supreme Being). oday, Kadayawan has transformed into a festival of festivals, with a number of spin-off festivals in the region. The festival honors Davao's artistic, cultural and historical heritage, its past personified by the ancestral Lumad people, its people as they celebrate on the streets, and its floral industry as its representatives parade in full regalia in thanksgiving for the blessings granted on the city. Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar is an open-air museum and heritage park in Bagac, Bataan, Philippines. Acuzar bought houses which were in a state of neglect, from the owners, and in some cases also purchased the lot where the mansions stood. The bahay na bato (Tagalog, literally meaning great houses made of stone) which have stone foundations on the first floor and are made of wood on the second floor(constructed thus to withstand earthquakes), were transplanted from Manila (Tondo,Binondo and Quiapo), Quezon City, Bulacan, Pampanga, La Union, the Ilocos and Cagayan Seven years later, in 2010, the heritage park was opened to public. The resort also has a restaurant, a beach, calesa rides and a swimming pool. The resort plans to house 50 such heritage houses.