The pragmatic aspect of syntax.
The theory of speech acts
Facts and we considered the most important aspects of this essay such as :pragmatics, syntax and speech act theory. The process of realization of language units in speech was viewed through the comparison of language and speech as a potential system of signs. Pragmatic investigations cover the fields of both linguistics and philosophy. In language studies, pragmatics is a very wide field. It examines our use and our understanding of the language we speak and hear, read and write. Pragmatics examines the importance in language studies of our general knowledge, and the importance of common-sense knowledge of our world.When we use language, we unconsciously assume that we are talking to somebody who has grown up in the same sort of world as us. Somebody who thinks like us. This can lead to confusion in conversation, especially between people from different countries or social backgrounds. Pragmatics itself studies how transmission of meaning depends not only on the linguistic knowledge of the speaker and listener, but also on the context of an utterance, knowledge about the status of those involved, the inferred intent of the speaker and so on. That is why when dealing with pragmatic syntax, in the focus of linguistic study are interrelations between language units and those who use them. Pragmatics encompasses speech act theory, as it explains how the users are able to overcome ambiguity paying attention to sociological, psychological peculiarities of those involved, time and place of an utterance, etc. Syntax looks at the rules of a language, particularly how the various parts of sentences go together. While similar to morphology, which looks at how the smallest meaningful linguistic units, called morphemes, are formed into complete words, syntax examines how fully formed words fit together to create...
1. Crystal D. A dictionary of linguistics and phonetics/ Basil Blackwell. - 2nd edition. New York,1985.
2. Mulligan K. "Promisings and Other Social Acts: Their Constituents and Structure".- Ed. – Mulligan: Speech Act and Sachverhalt,1987 . - 29-90.
3. Searle J. Speech Acts: an essay in the philosophy of language.- Ed. - Cambridge University Press, 1969
4. What is syntax [ Электронный ресурс].- Режим доступа : http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-syntax.htm . Загл. с экрана. – Дата обращения: 10.03.13.
5. What is Pragmatics ? [ Электронный ресурс].- Режим доступа : http://www.science20.com/chatter_box/blog/what_pragmatics . Загл. с экрана. – Дата обращения: 10.03.13.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document