Answer all the questions to the best of your ability. Please answer the following questions on a separate sheet of paper.
1) Name and define (in your own words) the two areas of statistics.
2) Why are samples used in statistics? (at least 2 sentences)
3) Give three examples each of nominal, ordinal, interval and ratio data.
4) Classify each variable as qualitative or quantitative.
a. Marital status of nurses in the hospital
b. Time It takes to run a marathon
c. Weight of lobsters in the tank at Red Lobster.
d. Colors of automobiles in a shopping area
e. Ounces of ice cream in a large milkshake
f. Capacity of Sports Authority field.
g. Ages of people living in personal care homes.
5) Classify each as discrete or continuous.
a. Number of pizzas sold by Pizza Express each day.
b. Relative humidity levels in operating rooms at local hospitals.
c. Number of bananas in a bunch.
d. Lifetimes of 15 iPhone batteries.
e. Blood pressure of marathon runners.
6) Comment on the following statements.
a. “Vitamin E is a proven antioxidant and may help in fighting cancer and heart disease.” Is there anything ambiguous about this claim?
b. “Using this product will burn 74% more calories.”
c. “Just 1 capsule of Brand X can provide 24 hours of acid control”
7) Consider the weight loss commercials on the television. Most have the following disclaimer:”These results are not typical.” What does that say about the study, use the vocabulary we discussed in class?
8) True or False (if false, why false)
a. Probability is used as a basis for inferential statistics.
b. The heights of the mountains in the state of Alaska are an example of a variable.
c. The lowest level of measurement is the nominal level.
d. The variable temperature is an example of a quantitative variable.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document