Name__________________________________ Per ______ Date __________________
15 Study Guide- Maritime Revolution, to 1550
Using complete sentences, answer the following questions on a separate sheet of paper. You must use the question as the stem of your answer.
1. Who was the island of Madagascar settled by?
2. Why was it less difficult to sail the Indian Ocean than other places? 3. What Chinese dynasty launched expeditions in the Indian Ocean between 1405 and 1433 to inspire awe about Chinese power and achievements? 4. What was carried on Zheng He’s ships?
5. Why did Zheng He’s voyages come to a stop?
6. Who were the greatest mariners of the Atlantic in the early Middle Ages? 7. What areas did the Amerindian voyagers colonize?
8. The sea voyages of what 2 Iberian kingdoms began a maritime revolution? 9. What (4) motives did Iberian rulers have for expanding their influence and conquering new lands? 10. What were 2 reasons that Italian states did not take the lead in exploring the Atlantic? 11. Along with Christian militancy, what other motives did the Iberian rulers have for overseas venture? 12. In pushing inland into Africa, what were the Portuguese trying to gain access to? 13. The new navigational technologies of the magnetic compass and the astrolabe were of what origin? 14. What were 4 advantages/features of the caravel that made it “the best ship that sailed the seas”? 15. What was the first financial return from the Portuguese voyages? 16. Who was the first Portuguese explorer to reach the southern tip of Africa and view the Indian Ocean? 17. What was Columbus trying to find when he set sail in 1492? 18. What were some effects of Portuguese domination of the Indian Ocean trade? 19. In contrast to the Portuguese trading empire, what kind of empire did the Spanish establish? 20. What helped the Spanish in conquering the Aztecs?
21. Who defeated the Inca and how many men did he require?
Free Response Focus Questions:...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document