I would Like to Thank My Lecturer Ms. Roshini Gunawardana as well as ICTA and Who Reply my Questions in SocialMediatoday.com to Finish This Research.
Table of Contents
Privacy Issus in social networking sites have become a controversial and much publicised topic since the creation and increasing popularity of social networking sites such as Linkdin, Twitter and the currently most used social networking site, Facebook. Such as stalking, identity theft, sexual predators, Data mining are Some of Privacy Issues in Social Media. as well as Issues are Increasing Quickly. On the Other Hand We can Have Lot Advantages From Social Media. This Research Paper is Going to Analyze Both Site.
Using data mining Technologies, Business organizations are able to improve their profitability. Using this data, Business organizations able to create customer profiles that contain customer demographics and online behavior. Using “network analysis software” this Data Mining Can be Done For any specific Organization. Such as Facebook, MySpace are giving more priority to marketing strategists. Facebook introduced new “Social Ads” Program recently. This Program gives Opportunity to companies to access the millions of profiles. therefore, Companies Can Post their Advertisements in our Facebook Profile according to Our own interests and hobbies.
But Facebook Said This is Not Sell The Actual user information, This is a Social Action. This Programmed Called As “Facebook Becacon”
Can Anyone Access information In Social Media? What About User Privacy? Is It Ethical? Ethical Principles and Theory Help Analyze this Issue.According to the Ethical Principle Respecting other’s Property ,Data Mining is Wrong. Getting the Details of Users without Their Permission and Use For the Different PurPoses is not Acceptable. Therefore, Data Mining in Social Networking Site is unethical.If We take Deontological theory Data Mining is Wrong. Because Action Data Mining is unethical.
Facebook should explain why they chose at the last minute to put the wish lists of corporate advertisers ahead of the privacy interests of their users-Said by Neal Schaffer
On the Other Hand, According to the consequences theory Data Mining Acceptable. Because User Easyily Can Find the Suitable Products According their own interests and Hobbies. therefore, this is ethical.
Facebook Beacon provides advanced privacy controls so Facebook users can decide whether to distribute specific actions from participating sites with their friends-Said by Om Malik
Unable to voluntarily Deactivate accounts
1.Access one’s Person data
References: 1. Miller, Andy (2010-09-02). Mining Social Networks: Untangling the Social Web. [online] Available at: < http://www.economist.com/node/16910031> [Accessed 8 January 2012 ].
2. Om Malik (2007-11-06). Is Facebook Beacon a Privacy Nightmare?. [online] Available at: < http://gigaom.com/2007/11/06/facebook-beacon-privacy-issues/> [Accessed 8 January 2012 ].
3. MARIA ASPAN (2008-11-02). How Sticky Is Membership on Facebook? Just Try BreakingFree.[online]Available at: [Accessed 8 January 2012 ].
4. Social Media (2011-09-06). Facebook facial recognition raises eyebrows in Germany, EU.[online] Available at: < http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,15144128,00.html> [Accessed 9 January 2012 ].
5. Justin Mitchell (2011-07-01). Facebook Making Photo Tagging Easier.[online] Available at: < http://www.facebook.com/blog.php?post=467145887130> [Accessed 9 January 2012 ].
6. Jessica Bennett (2009-12-12). The Star Wars Kid.[online] Available at: [Accessed 9 January 2012 ].
7. Gross, R. and Acquisti,A. 2005. Information Revelation and Privacy in Online Social Networking Sites (The Facebook Case). [pdf]Available at: [Accessed 10 Jan 2012].
8. myID.com. (2011-03-02). Social Network Profiles Help Identity Thieves Guess Your Social Security Number.[online] Available at: [Accessed 9 January 2012 ].
9. dailynews. (2012-01-10). Illegal acts using Facebook accounts top 1,800 .[online] Available at: [Accessed 10 January 2012 ].
10. Schonfield. E.. (2009-02-03). Thousands Of MySpace Sex Offender Refugees Found On Facebook .[online] Available at: < http://techcrunch.com/2009/02/03/thousands-of-myspace-sex-offender-refugees-found-on-facebook/> [Accessed 10 January 2012 ].
11. Boyd, Danah.. 2009. Why Youth (Heart) Social Networking Sites: The Role of Networked Publics in Teenage Social Life. [pdf]Available at: [Accessed 10 Jan 2012].
13. apexpacifictube, 2011. Step-By-Step Social Media Marketing Strategy Every Website Owner Needs To Know. [video online] Available at: [Accessed 10 January 2012].
Please join StudyMode to read the full document