Module Five: Text Questions
1. What is communication? How does communicating relate to parenting? * Communication is any sharing of meaning between two or more people. Communicating relates to parenting because it helps parents guide and understand their children better.
2. How can financial issues affect parenting?
* Due to financial issues, families may spend less time together, children may spend more time unsupervised, or parents may come home tired, anxious, and frustrated.
3. How does negative communication differ from positive communication? * Negative communication can push kids and teenagers away while positive communication can bring them closer. Positive communication can also help guide children toward more appropriate behaviors.
4. How can divorce affect children?
* Younger children will not be able to understand the aspects of a divorce. They may increase their temper tantrums, have difficulty sleeping, and have more separation anxiety. Older children can benefit from a discussion about more of the facts of the situation and how it will affect them. They may feel sadness, guilt, and anger about the situation.
5. What are three tips that parents can use to improve communication with their children? ·
Let the child talk without interrupting and listen.
Help the child to find solutions if he or she is discussing a problem. ·
Make the child the focus of your attention.
Critical Thinking Questions
1. Why is it important that parents talk to their children about social issues such as divorce, finances, and unemployment? How can parents talk about difficult topics? * It is important that parents talk to their children about social issues because it would help the child to understand, feel more secure, and less afraid of the problems.
2. When teenagers become parents, what are some of the challenges they face? * Teenage parents face depression, stress, and anxiety. Becoming a parent can be very...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document