Act I Scenes 1&2
1. What is the meaning of “Fair is foul, and foul is fair”? Things that are normally considered good are undesirable to the witches, and actions and things considered evil they consider good. 2. What description does the Captain (Sergeant) give to Duncan about battle? He says that Macbeth fought bravely & defeated the enemy.
3. What characteristics of the King are evident?
He rewards loyalty & values trust.
4. What punishment is pronounced upon the Thane of Cawdor?
He will be executed.
5. What reward is bestowed upon Macbeth?
He becomes the new Thane of Cawdor
Act I Scene 3
1. What are the first words uttered by Macbeth?
“So foul and fair a day I have not seen.” This reflects on how although Macbeth won the battle, it came at a high cost. 2. What three (3) messages do the Weird Sisters bring Macbeth? They hail him as the Thane of Glamis (current title), Thane of Cawdor (new title he is about to receive), and tell him that he shall be king. 3. What affect do those messages have on Macbeth?
He is very curious and interested in the prophecy, revealing his lust for power. 4. What message do the Weird Sisters give Banquo?
His sons will be kings.
5. What word from the King to Macbeth and Banquo do Ross and Angus bring? Macbeth is bestowed the title of Thane of Cawdor.
6. Compare Macbeth’s character with Banquo’s as revealed in their reaction to the witches.
Act I Scenes 4 & 5
1. What description of Cawdor and his death does Malcolm give? 2. What public announcement does Duncan make as to his successor on the throne? 3. What is the effect on Macbeth of the announcement?
4. Where does Duncan now plan to spend the night?
1. Where does this scene take place?
2. What are the contents of Macbeth’s letter to Lady Macbeth? 3. What is Lacy Macbeth’s reaction to the prophecy that he would become King? 4. What do Macbeth and his wife plan to do to Duncan?
Act I Scenes 6 & 7
1. How is Lady...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document