Importance of Nursing Theory
Ma. Mercedes G. Loo, RN, MSN
Purpose / Significance of Nursing Theories
Provide direction and guidance for structuring professional nursing practice, education and research and differentiating the focus of nursing in other professions
1. Give the Purpose / Significance of Nursing Theories as: a. Discipline
c. In Practice / Profession
2. Based on your experience as a nursing student, how does nursing theories help youin your studies or learnings?
Interdependence of Theory and Research
Theoretical knowledge – stimulate thinking and broaden understanding science and practice of nursing discipline Practical Knowledge – is referred to as the art of nursing Research is linked to theory in two ways:
a. Theory-generating research
b. Theory testing research
ACTIVITY # 2
1. In a tabular form give the different Contributions of nursing theorist in the field of practice, education and research. Give atleast 15 contributors. 2. Among the different theoriest you have mentioned, who do you think have the most significant involvement in the nursing practice at present ? why? 3. Give the four ways of knowing and define each ways.
* Nursing as an art relies on knowledge gained from practice and reflection of past experiences * As a science it is based on scientifically tested knowledge that is applied in the practice setting.
Four ways of Knowing
“Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich.” -Tao Te Ching
Code of Ethics
– provide a means by which professional standards of practice are established, maintained and improved.
International Council of Nurses (ICN) Code of Ethics (1973)
* The fundamental responsibility of the nurse is...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document