ETH 125: Quiz 4 *Ethnicity and Religion*
**Please highlight the correct answer. Once completed, save and rename the file with your first name and then upload to the Assignment tab which is due next Sunday.** The following materials are based on Schaefer’s Chapter 5: Ethnicity and Religion
1. The largest ancestral group of European Americans is
Which of the following groups has always been considered White by the English?
d. none of these
3. The principle of third-generation interest states that
a. the grandchildren of the original immigrants would have an increased interest in their ethnicity. b. the grandchildren of the original immigrants would have a decreased interest in their ethnicity. c. the children of immigrants would have more of an interest in their ethnicity than their children. d. none of these
4. Race is
b. socially constructed.
d. important only to Whites.
5. A group of _____ were sent to internment camps in Montana during World War II.
a. Canadian Americans
b. Italian Americans
c. Columbian Americans
d. Japanese Americans
6. The continuing portrayal of Italian Americans as gangsters is an example of
b. respectable bigotry.
7. The maintenance of one’s ethnic ties in a way that can assist with assimilation in larger society is referred to as
a. integrated ethnicity.
b. symbolic ethnicity.
c. ethnicity paradox.
8. The Amish are an example of which of the following?
a. secessionist minority
b. civil religion
c. third-generation interest
d. respectable bigotry
9. Secessionist minorities are groups that
a. reject assimilation.
b. favor cultural pluralism.
c. believe in a literal translation of the Bible.
d. favor most of the values and beliefs of the dominant culture.
10. The largest denomination in the United States is
a. the Southern Baptist Convention.
b. The United Methodist Church.
c .The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
d. the Roman Catholic Church.
11. Which White ethnic group was most apt to see themselves as forced to immigrate?
12. In terms of the proportion of college graduates, the most educated religious group is
13. Which of the following is an example of respectable bigotry? a. Pollock jokes.
b. TV shows that depict Italians as members of organized crime. c. The stereotype that most Irish are alcoholics.
d. all of these
14. The concept respectable bigotry refers to
a. poor Whites’ hostility toward African Americans.
b. African American and Puerto Rican hostility toward one another.
c. prejudice against White ethnics.
d. the government’s attitudes toward racial and ethnic minorities.
15. Which of the following would NOT be considered a White ethnic group? a. Jews
16. The emphasis on ethnic foods and ethnically associated political issues was called __________ by Herbert Gans.
a. symbolic ethnicity.
b. ethnic paradox.
c. ethnic identity.
d. ethnic practices.
In the United States, the Roman Catholics and Presbyterians are examples of
18. The acceptability of Polish jokes is an example of
a. poor taste.
b. symbolic ethnicity.
c. respectable bigotry.
d. ethnic paradox.
19. A large, organized religion that is not officially linked with the state or government is known as
a. an ecclesia.
b. a denomination.
c. a cult.
d. a sect.
20. Civil religion describes
a. governments run by...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document