Knowledge and Understanding / Communication
1. Solve [pic], using either substitution or elimination. [8 marks]
Verify your solution graphically on graph paper.
2. Solve [pic] by substitution. Check your solution. [6 marks]
3. Solve [pic] using elimination. [5 marks]
Application / Communication
4. The Peace and Development Club raised $5000 for a trip to Guatemala in the future. The club invested part of the money in an account that paid 4% simple interest, and the rest in a government bond that paid 3.5% simple interest per year. After one year, the club earned a total of $190 in interest. How much was invested at each rate? [6 marks], C
5. The tallest freestanding structure in the world is the CN tower, located in Toronto, Ontario. It is 390 m taller than the tallest church tower in the world, located in Germany. The sum of their heights is 710 m. Use linear systems of equations to model this situation, and find the heights of the CN tower and the church tower. [5 marks]
6. For a chemistry experiment Laura needs 300 ml of a 15% sulphuric acid solution. The Science Department has quantities of 5% acid solution and 20% acid solution. What volume of each solution is required to mix together to get her required concentration?
7. Do you enjoy writing math tests like this one here? Would you ever take this course again? Did you enjoy the people? Did you like your teacher?