Cold Sassy Tree
1) Will Tweedy - The novel’s narrator and protagonist. Will is a fourteen-year-old boy growing up Cold Sassy, Georgia at the very beginning of the twentieth century. Will is a free spirit and often likes to defy the rules that are set in his life. He is respectful but he does not like his Aunt Loma (he has a change of heart near the end though).
2) Enoch Rucker Blakeslee - Will’s grandfather who is 59 years old. He loves whiskey and tobacco. Stingy….didn’t pay for a phone in his house, electricity, or a bathroom. He is well-respected and stubborn. Had a long beard that was gray and usually stained from tobacco juice. Blue eyed; has all his teeth; lean, strong, and straight; Democrat; Baptist; devout Confederate veteran; only has one hand (right); good shooter with a gun. Rucker is a humorous man who owns the general store in Cold Sassy. Rucker is passionately Southern, but he has no use for the gossip and hypocrisy of Cold Sassy’s small-town ways, and he acts according to his own code of decent conduct, not the town’s.
3) Miss Love Simpson – Rucker’s second wife (married on July 5, 1906) who is 34 years old and a Yankee. She is a milliner (she designs hats for women and makes them); fashionable and is considered the prettiest woman in Cold Sassy; very proper. Miss Love is a pretty, affectionate, and strong-willed woman. Miss Love has succeeded despite a troubled childhood. She is charming and has a sense of humor. She lives her life cheerfully and bravely, ignoring or defying the expectations of the close-minded and suspicious inhabitants of Cold Sassy.
4) Mattie Lou Blakeslee - Will’s grandmother and Rucker’s first wife. Mattie Lou dies three weeks before the novel begins at the age of 56. Mattie Lou was an excellent gardener and a devoted caretaker for the sick. The people of Cold Sassy speak reverently of her, and Rucker never forgets her companionship and goodwill. She is sweet, kind, and looks after others. She had a total of 7 children but only 2 (Mary Willis and Loma) lived to their adult years.
5) Hoyt Tweedy - Will’s father. Hoyt is a stern man who loves his family and has a weak spot for modern technology. Although Hoyt is Rucker’s son-in-law and a devoted employee, he proves himself capable of standing up to his boss and defending his wife, Mary Willis, when the occasion calls for it.
6) Mary Willis – Tweedy’s mom who is 34 years old; Mattie Lou and Rucker’s older daughter. Mary Willis is kind and the death of her mother deeply affects her. She mourns for a long time and finds it difficult to forgive her father for remarrying so quickly, which she sees as a betrayal of her mother’s memory.
7) Loma Williams - Mary Willis’s younger sister who has long curly red hair. She is 20 years old, only a few years older than her nephew, Will. Loma is a bossy and jealous young woman. She dreams of being a writer or an actress and is always criticizing Campbell Williams…. her useless husband.
8) Lightfoot McLendon - A pretty and studious young girl from the impoverished Mill Town. She is thin, smart, quiet, and sweet, wasn’t silly, and didn’t tattle or gossip. The death of her father is really tough on her. Lightfoot is the object of Will’s affections. Although she marries Hosie Roach, Lightfoot feels affection for Will and parts from him with difficulty.
9) Campbell Williams - Loma’s husband. Campbell, called Camp, fails at home and at work. He wants to please but finds himself hampered by his own incompetence. Loma and Rucker criticize him constantly and drive him to despair. He commits suicide.
10) Hosie Roach - A twenty-one-year-old boy from Mill Town who goes to Will’s school despite his advanced age. Although Will considers Hosie his enemy, Hosie shows great promise and the townspeople of Cold Sassy see big things in his future. He later...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document