Base your answers to questions 1 through 3 on the information and diagram below.
4. A 9-volt battery is connected to a 4-ohm resistor and a 5-ohm resistor as shown in the diagram below.
A 3.0-ohm resistor, an unknown resistor, R, and two ammeters, A1 and A2, are connected as shown with a 12-volt source. Ammeter A2 reads a current of 5.0 amperes.
What is the current in the 5-ohm resistor?
1. 1.0 A
2. 1.8 A
3. 2.3 A
4. 4.0 A
1. Determine the equivalent resistance of the circuit.
2. Calculate the current measured by ammeter A1.
[Show all work, including the equation and substitution with units.
3. Calculate the resistance of the unknown resistor, R.
[Show all work, including the equation and substitution with units.]
Base your answers to questions 5 through 7 on the information below.
An 18-ohm resistor and a 36-ohm resistor are connected in parallel with a 24-volt battery. A single ammeter is placed in the circuit to read its total current.
5. Draw a diagram of this circuit.
6. Calculate the equivalent resistance of the circuit.
7. Calculate the total power dissipated in the circuit.
APlusPhysics: Circuits-Circuit Analysis
8. In which circuit would current flow through resistor R1 but not through resistor R2 while switch S is open?
9. Which circuit diagram below correctly shows the connection of ammeter A and voltmeter V to measure the current through and potential difference across resistor R?
10. In the space below, draw a diagram of an operating circuit that includes:
• a battery as a source of potential difference
• two resistors in parallel with each other
• an ammeter that reads the total current in the circuit
Base your answers to questions 11 through 13 on the information and diagram below.
A 15-ohm resistor, R1, and a 30-ohm resistor, R2, are to be connected in parallel between points A and B in a circuit containing a 90-volt