Chemistry Test Questions
1. What is the ground-state electronic configuration of an oxygen atom (oxygen: atomic number 8)?
2. Which of the following species has an atom that has an unfilled valence shell of electrons?
(a) molecular hydrogen, H2
(b) hydroxide anion, HO-
(c) boron trifluoride, BF3
(d) water, H2O
3. Which of the following compounds is a ketone?
4. Which of the following is a primary amine?
5. Which of the following elements has the highest electronegativity?
6. Which of the following is an ionic bond?
7. Which of the following molecules has a molecular dipole?
8. Which of the following represents an sp3 hybridized atomic orbital containing the lone pair of electrons of ammonia, NH3?
9. How many electrons are there in the valence shell of the carbon atom of a methyl cation, CH3+?
10. Which atomic orbitals overlap to form the C-H â bonding molecular orbitals of ethane, CH3CH3?
(a) C2p + H1s
(b) Csp + H1s
(c) Csp2 + H1s
(d) Csp3 + H1s
11. Which of the following is a tertiary (3ø) alcohol?
(c) 2002 by Harcourt, Inc. All rights reserved.
ANSWER KEY FOR TEST
1. b 2. c 3. d 4. d 5. d 6. d 7. b 8. c 9. c 10. d 11. c (c) 2002 by Harcourt, Inc. All rights