Tables of contents
Table of Contents
3. the traditional role of humana resource management
4. reasons why the role of HRM has changed
4.2. technological innovation
4.3. trends in nature of work
5. the role of line managers
In this report I have discussed the objectives of human resource management and line managers, further more I have discussed the traditional roles of human resource management and the role of line managers. I have even discussed the modern trends such as globalization, technological innovations and working trends which have effected and compelled the human resource management roles to change in the present times. Lastly I have briefly explained the roles which are carried out by the human resource management.
Human resource management is the process of acquiring, training, appraising, compensating employees and of attending labor relations, fairness concerns and health and safety regulations.
Line manager is a manger that is authorized to direct the work of subordinates and is responsible for accomplishing the organization’s tasks.
In this report I will be excluding the discussion of several types of factors that contribute to the changed roles of human resource department such as deregulation and increased indebtedness, an aging workforce, dramatic economic downturn in 2007/2008 and slower economic growth in countries. I will focus and discuss globalization, technological innovations and trends in work which are major factors that contribute to the changed roles of human resource management.
3.The traditional role of Human Resource Department
Recruiting: one of the traditional role of human resource department was to recruit employees, the department was responsible to hire as and when needed and fire unwanted employees.
Payroll: the human resource department was responsible for the payroll of the employees of the organization, it was responsible to pay the wages and salaries of the employees and it was also responsible to negotiate or agree the salaries or wages when an employee was first employed
Compensation and benefits: the human resource department was responsible for the compensations and benefits for the employees. It planned and organized the bonuses which the employees receive according to the success of the organization and it was responsible to compensate or reward employees when they do a good job, this could be done by giving a word of recognition for the employee/s or mentioning the employee/s name/s in a meeting, or in any way that the organization rewards to motivate the employees.
Labour relations: the traditional role of human resource department involved labor relations, this is basically maintaining the health and safety regulations at work for the employees and helping employees with any problems they have at work.
4.The issues as to why the roles of Human Resource Department have changed in the modern times
4.1.Globalization: refers to the tendency of firms to extend their sales, ownership, and/or manufacturing to new markets abroad for example Dell produces PC’s in China because China is soon going to become the world’s largest market for PC’s, so Dell is aggressively building plants and selling there. As globalization has and is increasing in the modern times the competition is enormously increasing as well, firms aim to keep up or ahead of this competition by making employees more productive and aim to do better and operate more efficiently at the same time less expensively.
4.2.Technological innovation: organizations have become more technological oriented in the modern era, manufacturing, distributing, designing and every operation is entirely or to some extent carried out technologically for example the...
References: 1) Dessler, G. (2010) Human Resource Management (12th edn) Pearson Higher Education
2) Beardwell I. & Holden L. (2010) Human Resource Management: A Contemporary Approach (6th ed) Financial Times Press
3) Roles and Functions of Human Resource Department | Human Resource Management Software. 2013. Roles and Functions of Human Resource Department | Human Resource Management Software. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.younghrmanager.com/roles-and-functions-of-the-human-resource-department. [Accessed 18 February 2013].
4) The role of line managers in HR - Factsheets - CIPD . 2013. The role of line managers in HR - Factsheets - CIPD . [ONLINE] Available at:http://www.cipd.co.uk/hr-resources/factsheets/role-line-managers-hr.aspx. [Accessed 18 February 2013].
5) The Changing Role of Human Resources Management. 2013. The Changing Role of Human Resources Management. [ONLINE] Available at:http://www.coursepark.com/blog/2011/07/the-changing-role-of-human-resources-management/. [Accessed 18 February 2013].
6) The Changing Role of Human Resource Management : : Human Resources Today. 2013. The Changing Role of Human Resource Management : : Human Resources Today. [ONLINE] Available at:http://www.humanreasourcestoday.co.uk/2012/03/20/the-changing-role-of-human-resource-management/. [Accessed 18 February 2013].
7) From traditional to strategic HR - Express Computer. 2013. From traditional to strategic HR - Express Computer. [ONLINE] Available at:http://computer.financialexpress.com/20050620/technologylife03.shtml. [Accessed 18 February 2013].
Bottom of Form
Please join StudyMode to read the full document