Thesis statement + enumeration of points of similarity or difference (my be 1 or 1 sentences)：Araby and A&P are both short stories, written by famous authors. Although they were written in different times, as well as in different countries, they have many similarities.
Title：Comparison of Araby and A&P
Paragraph 1 (Introduction)
Topic Sentence：Although they were written in different times, as well as in different countries, they have many similarities. Subtopic sentence：These similarities can be found both in their contexts and their settings.
Paragraph 2：Compare their settings.
Topic sentence：What catches the readers’ attention in both stories first, are the settings. Item 1：
1. uses many negative words while describing the setting.
2. the dullness and the gloominess of that city
Transitional expression + Item 2：
1. Similarly, Sammy in A&P describes the town he lives in by referring to everyone around him as sheep, vividly describing the distinction between the beach and his town. 2. a small town with many mostly older people who lead uneventful lives, and a young boy who has lived there and worked in the same shop all his life. Concluding sentence：In this way we know that both characters are not happy with the lives they are leading. They have no ambitions and nothing to hold on to. Everything they talk about wounds too simple.
Paragraph 3, 4：Compare their characters.
Topic sentence：With nothing to hold on to, both characters are in search of something that will give them the courage to do something different, something that will spice up their lives. Item 1：
1. the escape from his boring everyday life comes with his love for a girl. 2. the only light in his dark life, his only source for joy. 3. devotes himself to this girl so much that she becomes a god-like figure. 4. feels like it is his duty and responsibility to make the girl happy. Transitional expression + Item 2：
1. The same thing happens to Sammy when the three girls in bathing suits come into the store that he is working at. 2. The leading girl of the group, is different from everyone he knows in the town. 3. He is fascinated by her.
4. the long-awaited lights in Sammy's life.
5. In the same way, Sammy in A&P quits his job, thinking he is now the girl's hero. Concluding sentence：The boys, finally having found something to fight for. They feel themselves as their saviors.
Paragraph 5：Compare their realization.
Topic sentence：It is not long before both of them realize that it was not actually worth it, and that what they had imagined weren't actually true. Item 1：
1. he is not capable of doing what he was trying to do.
2. never going to be the lover of the girl he loved.
3. The boy is angry with himself.
Transitional expression + Item 2：
1. Sammy realizes that in reality he can not do anything else other than to be cashier at a supermarket. 2. and Sammy was never the girl’s hero.
3. and Sammy doesn’t know what to do next.
Concluding sentence：More importantly, now they both know that getting away by themselves will not be as easy as they had imagined it to be.
Although the intentions of the boys in both stories are the same, they try different ways in the hope of breaking free from the unpleasant environments which they were born into, only to realize that they have to try harder.
Araby and A&P are both short stores and written by very famous authors in different times and countries. The protagonists are the young boys, and they have many similarities, such as their settings, characters, and realizations. The boys start to change their life and values when they meet the girls. Both of them would like to escape from their ordinary and unpleasant life, but finally they found they are not capable to do that. They feel very upset and depressed about life.
Comparison of Araby and A&P
Araby and A&P are both short stories, written by famous authors. Although they...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document