This individual assignment will be assessed by means of a 3,500 ± 10% word Report. The assignment has been designed to allow you to develop and use your knowledge and skills in understanding key strategic issues relating to food retail internationalisation. You will be required to apply the strategic concepts and analytical techniques studied in this module. All the learning outcomes below will be assessed:
1. Demonstrate critical understanding and application of relevant theories associated with global corporate policies and strategies. 2. Understand the holistic nature of strategy and apply analytical techniques to solve complex problems in real life organizations 3. Demonstrate knowledge of the strategic decision making process through critical analysis of how strategic decision making enables an organisation to relate to its global business environment. 4. Critically evaluate and monitor the business mission, objectives and policies of international organisations. 5. Use critical reflective skills to reflect on the impact of their understanding on the problem solving process
The assignment will be internally moderated by: John Dixon-Dawson
1. All work must adhere to the University regulations on ‘Cheating, Collusion and Plagiarism’ which are provided as an Appendix in your Programme handbook. See your tutor for useful guide on ‘Harvard Referencing Style’ and on how to avoid ‘Plagiarism’. 2. A hard copy and an electronic copy on DVD or CD of the assignment must be handed to your Study Centre on or before the appointed date under cover of the Sunderland Business School Feedback Sheet. Please include/attach a Turnitin Report if possible. 3. Issue Date: Wednesday, 25 May 2011
4. Submission Date: Friday 19th August 2011
Your task is to carry out a critical analysis and evaluation of the strategies adopted by world-class food retailers, using the information provided and other materials researched. You will be expected to select and apply appropriate theories, techniques and models studied during the module whilst having regard to the practical aspects of strategy development.
Your assignment should be presented in a Business Report Format and should be within the range 3,500 ± 10% words (excluding executive summary, references and relevant appendices). The report should include a title page and executive summary and be fully and consistently referenced, using Harvard Referencing style. You must also submit a DVD or CD containing an electronic version of the report. This should be clearly labelled with your name, your course and the name of the case study. It is recommended that you research information additional to the case study to support your arguments. This may be obtained from a diverse range of sources and you are encouraged to research the issues in whichever way you deem appropriate.
In the event of failing this individual assignment, normal referral / deferral procedures will apply. This assignment carries a weighting of 100%. The assessment will focus on the level of ANALYSIS carried out. That is, the application of THEORETICAL CONCEPTS studied in the module to the ‘practical’ case study presented. In other words, you should proceed beyond a DESCRIPTION of the company and its actions. You should be analysing ‘why’ rather than describing ‘what’. The assignment will be assessed and moderated by two members of staff in accordance with the marks allocated to each of the questions detailed below. 10% of the marks are set aside for the ‘presentation’ criteria. Academic Rigour
• your ability to isolate the key strategic issues
• the coherence and depth of the analysis of those issues • the ability to analyse the strategy context within which companies operate • the ability to critically review and evaluate strategic decisions made by companies Methodology
• the use of relevant evidence, from material provided and personal...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document