Objective: Identify which substances are acids and which are bases. Materials: sliced calamansi, shampoo, soap, kamias or unripe mango, four plastic cups, four medicine droppers, watch glass, red and blue litmus paper, mortar and pestle Procedure:
1. Squeeze the calamansi and pour the juice into a plastic cup. 2. Dissolve the shampoo with water in a plastic cup.
3. Make a soap solution in a plastic cup.
4. Cut and pound the kamias or unripe mango and mix the pulp with salt water in a plastic cup. 5. Using different medicine droppers for each substance, get a small amount of the substances and put a few drops on a blue litmus paper and red litmus paper. Note the change in color of the litmus paper when it comes in contact with the substance.
6. Write your observation in Table 3.5. (Note that both the calamansi extract and the kamias or mango pulp in the water you prepared are heterogeneous mixtures because of the presence of the pulp and the juice.) Table 3.5 Observations on the Substances
SUBSTANCE| What happened to the blue litmus paper ?| What happened to the red litmus paper ?| Calamansi| | |
Shampoo | | |
Soap | | |
Kamias or mango pulp| | |
1. Which substances turned the blue litmus paper into red ? What do these substances have in common ? What do you call such substances?
2. Which substances turned the red litmus paper into blue ? What do these substances have in common ? What do you call such substances?