Name of the lesson: THE THIRD LEVEL written by: JACK FINNEY Page A Class: XII GIST OF THE LESSON
Theme: Charley a thirty one year old having worked late at night enters Grand Central Station from Vanderbilt avenue, with the aim of boarding a train home. As the station is large consisting of various corridors and two levels catering for different trains, he loses his way. He finds himself in what he thinks is the third level of the station. He realizes that something is different there as the people are dressed differently and the area is lit not with the electric light of the modern times but with open gas fires. He suddenly makes the discovery that he has somehow entered the year 1894. he sees the date on the news paper ‘The World’ that has not been published for many years. The paper that he glances at bears the date June 11, 1894. he is filled with excitement and he decides to buy two tickets for Galesburg, the peaceful town that he has grown up in. Charley discovers that he does not have the appropriate currency of that period and is therefore unable to buy the ticket. His wife and his psychiatrist friend, Sam as well as his other friends are quite alarmed when they hear his account and forbid him to seek the third level again. They treat the incident as a figment of his imagination and attribute it to his desire to escape from the stresses of his life. However, Charley’s friend, Sam disappears and Charley finds a letter from him in an old First Day Cover dated July 18th 1894. In the letter, Sam tells Charley that he has settled in down in Galesburg and urges him not to give up his search for the Third level as it is well worth the effort. Sam is now engaged in a nice little hay, feed and grain business, something that he has always wished he could do. The author leaves the readers wondering what the Third Level really is. Though Charley is able to find proof of his experience, is it really possible to make this transition back and forth in time? Jack Finney a writer of science fiction treats his favorite subject, Time in a new dimension. The shadowy, eerie world that lies somewhere between dreams, desires and reality is what he calls The Third Level. It is the point where the past, the present and the future meet and here nothing is, as it seems.
Signature of the subject teacher …………………………………………………………………..
Lesson Plan THE THIRD LEVEL Page B Date of starting :…2ND APRIL 2009………… Number of periods: .………08………………. Actual date of starting: …2ND APRIL 2009…… Date of completion: …18TH APRIL 2009…. Short questionsComprehensive questions
Attempt the following questions in 60-70 words each:
1. What discovery did Charley make? How?
Answer in about 120 words:
1. Do you think that the third level was a medium of escape for Charley? 2. What did Charley’s friends and doctors say about the third level? How did his wife react? What was Charley’s reaction to it?
2. What do you infer from Sam’s letter to Charley?
3.Reaching the third level was just a coincidence. This was not the first time that he had lost his way. Justify.
3. “The modern world is full of insecurity, fear, war, worry and stress”. What are the ways in which we attempt to overcome them? 4.How the third level at the Grand Central Station was different from other two?
4.Do you see an intersection of time and space in the story? 5.What confirmed to Charley that he was on the third level? Why did Charley wish to go to Galesburg?
5. Apparent illogicality sometimes turns out to be a futuristic projection. Discuss. 6.What was Charley’s reaction after coming back from the third level?
6. Philately helps keep the past alive. Discuss other ways in which this is done. What do you think of the human tendancy to...