The Packaging Industry in India

Topics: Corrugated fiberboard, Packaging and labeling, Unit load Pages: 8 (2640 words) Published: August 7, 2012
Knowledge Centre – 2010



All major industries create wealth but if there is one industry that plays a unique role by way of both creation of wealth through a wide range of manufacturing activities and also by way of preserving the wealth or value created by many, many other industries, it is packaging. Apart from the huge value addition and employment involved in these activities, packaging has served the Indian economy by helping preservation of the quality and lengthening the shelf life of innumerable products - ranging from milk and biscuits, to drugs and medicines, processed and semi-processed foods, fruits and vegetables, edible oils, electronic goods etc., besides domestic appliances and industrial machinery and other hardware needing transportation. With water becoming a consumer product, polymer material-based bottles are becoming a universal presence. Packaging, as distinct from mere “packing”, plays its most visible and catalytic role in a modern economy with the widespread adoption of branding of products and development of consumer preferences. To the extent that any consumer product is packaged in a manner that meets the criteria of safety, convenience and attractiveness, it gains market share. In the aggregate, packaging as a sect oral activity boosts consumption and economic growth. Heightened competition in all product sectors within the country as also the increasing need to look for export markets have contributed to the rising demand for appropriate, and at the same time cost-effective, packaging material and technologies. The packaging industry’s growth has led to greater specialization and sophistication from thepoint of view of health (in the case of packaged foods and medicines) and environment friendliness of packing material. The demands on the packaging industry are challenging, given the increasing environmental awareness among communities. The World Packaging Organizations (WPO) slogan, “Better Quality of Life through Better Packaging”, sumps up the important place that packaging occupies in a modern economy. To ensure that public appreciation of this role and the policy-makers’ support to the industry are not diluted, attention should be paid to basic issues like collection, segregation and reuse of synthetic packaging material and observation of regulatory requirements.

Classifications ~ Packing Industry in India: Functions of Packages:

b. Classification of Packaging: 1. By Shape (Form or Size)

2. By Methods (Way of Packing)

3. By Contents

4. By Materials

Indian Packaging Industry Market:  Indian packaging industry itself is growing at 14-15% annually. This growth rate is expected to double in the The next two years.  Indian Packaging industry is USD 14 billion and growing at more than 15% p.a. These figures indicate towards a change in the industrial and consumer set up.  However, the Indian fascination for rigid packaging remains intact. It is estimated that more than 80% of the total packaging in India constitutes rigid packaging, which is the oldest and the most conventional form of packaging. The remaining 20% comprises flexible packaging.  Rigid packaging constitutes glass bottles, metal cans, aerosol cans, battery cell cans, aluminum collapsible tubes, injection moulded plastic containers made of PVC, PET, HOPE, barrels made from HOPE, paperboards, and corrugated boxes.  However, with the expanding middle class and rising income levels, the patterns of consumption are bound to change substantially and the demand for quality and convenience-based products will increase. Concurrently, the increased interaction with the developed world will considerably influence the aesthetic and quality norms of the Indian consumer and lead to better consumption standards. This is expected to stimulate greater consumption of branded products and increase the use of rigid and flexible packaging.  Flexible packaging...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay on Report on Packaging Industry
  • Essay on packaging
  • Packaging Industry Overview Essay
  • Packaging Essay
  • Rigid Packaging Industry Essay
  • packaging Essay
  • Cold Storage Industry in India Essay
  • Packaging Market In India Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free