How can we ensure that we keep appointments by arriving on time? Here are some suggestions:
1. Make up your mind that you will be punctual from now on. In many cases lateness is caused by a lack of commitment to arrive on time. Have the right mindset.
2. Record the commitment in your planner and also record the time you must leave the house or office in order to arrive on time. Plan to arrive 5 to 10 minutes early.
3. If you have a fair distance to travel, always allow more time than you think it will take.
4. Don’t be trapped by the one last thing syndrome. If you’re ready to leave and it's still early, leave anyway. Utilize the time at the other end rather than trying to finish one more task before you leave.
5. If you are not a morning person, but have early morning commitments, set the alarm a little earlier. Some of us may need to go to bed a little earlier to make this work.
When it comes right down to it, punctuality is a habit that can be developed. It takes great effort at first, but eventually simply happens. Habits are formed by repetition. If you want to acquire the habit of punctuality, you must repeat this behavior again and again.