Read Bible verses in Acts 8:26-40 and use questions to discuss the content. 1. Who told Philip to arise? The Angel of the Lord
Philip had a successful preaching ministry to great crowds in Samaria, but he obediently left that ministry to travel on a desert road. Because Philip went where the Lord sent him, the gospel was brought to Ethiopia.
2. Why had the Treasurer been to Jerusalem? To worship
3. What was he reading when Philip found him? Scripture from Isaiah How many of you have read Isaiah? Would you say that’s a pretty easy book to understand? NO! But as we see, Philip followed the Spirit’s leading. He began the discussion from where the man was reading. He explained how Jesus Christ fulfilled Isaiah’s prophecies. Some people think that the Old Testament is not relevant today, but Philip led this man to faith in Jesus Christ by using the Old Testament.
4. Who told Philip to go accompany the Treasurer in his chariot? The Holy Spirit
5. Did the Treasurer seemed surprised to see Philip? No
6. The treasurer asked what kept him from being baptized and what did Philip say? If you believe with all your heart
7. And what was the treasurer’s response? I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God Let’s stop here for a minute and talk about baptism.
So why do we get baptized?
•It’s a commandment: in Matthew 28 Jesus tells His disciples to go out and make disciples of all nations and baptize them. •It is a public confession of our faith in Jesus Christ. We shouldn’t be ashamed to tell others about Christ. Jesus said in Matthew 10:32-33 that whoever confesses Him before men, He will confess them before His Father. But whoever denies Him, He will also deny before His Father in heaven. •We can identify with the body of Christ: It is a symbol that unites us all over the world. 1 Corinthians 12:13 states we are all baptized into one body. •It is a declaration of belief in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. And In Romans 6:4-5 when we believe in Him and His resurrection, we know we have the promise of eternal life with Christ.
And who should be baptized? Only those who have been saved by grace through faith and have accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
And at what age should a person be baptized? In Mark 16:16 Jesus says that whoever believes and is baptized shall be saved, and he who does not believe cannot be saved. So this would mean that it would need to be someone who can reason and understand this concept. So what does that say about infant baptism? Can a baby reason and make a conscious decision to follow Jesus?
How should one be baptized? Baptize comes from the Greek word “baptizo” which means to immerse. It symbolizes Jesus’ death, burial, and resurrection in a way that sprinkling cannot. Does that mean that someone who is sprinkled will not go to heaven? Certainly not, because baptism does not save a person. Baptism is a response to salvation not part of salvation. As long as a person believes in Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Savior, that’s the important thing, that’s what will save him, not the baptism,
8. What happened to Philip after he baptized the treasurer? The Spirit of the Lord caught him away And what does that mean? He was taken to another place in a way that we don’t understand
9. And the treasurer? Went on his way rejoicing
I’d like to share a little information with you about Philip.
When Jesus gave his followers the commandment of the Great Commission, many of them seemed reluctant to leave Jerusalem. It took some intense persecution to scatter them. Philip was in charge of food distribution in Jerusalem and, like most Jewish Christians, spread the gospel wherever he went. But unlike his contemporaries, he did not limit his audience to other Jews....