General Purpose: To persuade my audience about a specific form of media.
Specific Purpose: To persuade my audience to watch the inspirational movie, The Blind Side.
Thesis Statement: The Bind Side is an extraordinary true story that reflects upon many life lessons.
I. Attention Getter: As once stated by George W. Bush, “America is the land of the second chance- and when the gates of the prison open, the path ahead should lead to better life.”
II. Argument/Introduce Topic: The Blind Side is an extraordinary true story that reflects upon inspiring life lesson.
III. Credibility Statement: I have watched The Blind Side many times and from my experience this movie is worth every minute of your time.
IV. Preview: This afternoon, I will explain the reason why The Blind Side portrays brilliant character that will make you look at life differently.
A. Starting with the fact we can’t change the life we are brought into but we can change the way we live it.
B. Also, take a helping hand from others that are offering.
C. Finally, the value of something is not always obvious from what we see on the surface.
[Transition: Furthermore, lets look more into the life lesson outlined by the movie, The Blind Side.]
I. Main Point: Nobody can go back and start a new beginning to their life, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.
A. Sub-point: Michael Ohre spent most of his childhood years in the so-called ‘hood’ and was surrounded by drugs, alcohol, and gangs.
1. Sub-sub point: Michael did not speak much about his childhood but did tell his Mrs. Leigh Ann Tuohy this, “And when she was finished she would tell me to open my eyes, the past is gone, the world is a good place, and its all going to be okay” (The Blind Side).
2. Sub-sub point: Michael’s mom would repeat to him this as she participated in drug activities.
3. Sub-sub point: He decides to pack up a few clothing articles in a grocery bag and leaves in search of a better life.
B. Sub-point: Michael Ohre was walking down a cold endless road when Mrs. Tuohy demanded that he come home with her family and stay in till he found a place to stay.
1. Sub-sub point: This was the new begging of a new chapter of life for him.
2. Sub-sub point: The Tuohy family enrolled him into a private catholic high school.
C. Sub-point: Michael was not the only one that changed his life but his new mom, Mrs. Tuohy did as well.
1. Sub-sub-point: She was a giving person who always helped people that needed it.
2. Sub-sub-point: Mrs. Tuohy gave Michael a second chance at life by treating him as her own child.
3. Sub-sub point: Many people would not allow random people to stay at there house but she wanted to truly help.
D. Sub-point: Additionally, Mrs. Tuohy is a high-class southern mom, which made it seem even more unexpected.
1. Sub-sub point: The ides a taking a “African American” into her home was shocking to her southern friends.
2. Sub-sub point: Her friends in her social groups did not support her and she decided those were not real friends.
E. Sub-point: Michael’s tutor, Jill Freeze, told Mrs. Tuohy that she was changing his life, she responded with, “No, he is changing mine” (The Blind Side).
1. Sub-sub point: Mrs. Tuohy felt good knowing she was becoming a becoming a better person.
2. Sub-sub point: She felt better knowing she was giving back to someone that truly needed help in desperate times.
[Transition: Despite running from reality let people help you.]
II. Main Point: Take a helping hand from others wen one is offering.
A. Sub-point: Michael knew getting help was the only way to becoming sometime great in life.
1. Sub-sub-point: He was dealt a hard life, but he knew his only option was to reach out for help....