1. Placement Tests & Proficiency Tests
I. I would start by asking the student to answer in full sentences if they can. For the purposes of this assignment I am assuming these students are adult learners. The questions I would ask are; 1. How are you?
2. What’s your job?
3. What are some of your responsibilities at work?
4. Do you play sports?
5. How long have you played that? (sport from the previous question) 6. Are there any sports/hobbies you would like to try?
7. How often do you watch movies?
8. What kind of movies/music/tv do you like?
9. Please tell me about your family
10. Do you have any pets?
11. What did you do at the weekend?
12. How long have you been studying English?
13. If you could travel to another country, where would you like to go? 14. What did you do/Where did you go on your last vacation? 15. Tell me about your hometown…what is it called, city/country 16. What are your plans for the next weekend?
17. When is your birthday?
18. What did you do/get last birthday?
19. Can you drive/play a musical instrument/speak any other languages? 20. If you could meet any person, living or dead, who would you like to meet?
II. The TOEFL iBT is a primarily internet based test which measures ability to a University level. It evaluates participants ability to combine the 4 language skills in order to perform academic tasks. The test can be internet based or in paper form depending on the location of the test centre. There are 5 potential types of test participants; 1. Students planning on attending a Higher Education Institution. 2. Admission or exit from English Language programmes.
3. Scholarship or certification candidates.
4. Learners wanting to track progress
5. Students or workers applying for visas.
There are over 8’000 institutions as well as immigration departments, medical or other professional licensing agencies who...