The purpose of group discussion is not to win an argument or to amuse your classmates. The purpose of discussion is to help each group member explore and discover personal meanings of a text through interaction with other people. Qualities judged in a group discussion:
initiative is the ability to take action with out being told. The candidate who starts the discussion has this quality • subject knowledge:
Here, selectors find the following points:
❖ .whether the candidate have understood the meaning of the discussion ❖ .whether the andidate have the proper general knowledge ❖ .whether they have original ideas and whether they can develop these ideas logically.
• Time management:
Here the best candidate is the one who:
❖ Express all his views with in his own time limit. ❖ Give other candidates time to express their views • Team work:
The selectors look for candidate who have the ability to work as a team member.
Important points in group discussion:
• How good you are at communication with others.
• How you behave and interact with group.
• How open minded are you.
• Your listening skill.
• How you put forward your views.
• Your leadership and decision making skills.
• Your analysis skill and subject knowledge.
• Problem solving and critical thinking skill.
• Your attitude and confidence.
Do’s of participating in a GD:
• Listen to the subject carefully
• Put down your thoughts on a paper
• Initiate the discussion if you know the subject well • Listen to others if you don’t know the subject
• Support you point with some facts and figures
• Make short contribution of 25-30 seconds 3-4 times
• Give others a chance to speak