Solubility Equilibrium and the Effect of Temperature

Only available on StudyMode
  • Topic: Titration, Erlenmeyer flask, Le Chatelier's principle
  • Pages : 4 (1203 words )
  • Download(s) : 438
  • Published : May 21, 2005
Open Document
Text Preview
For this experiment, we are going to determine the effect of temperature on solubility, to be done in a chemical by dissolving a solute in a definite amount of solution which is saturated. Specifically, the goal of this experiment is to prepare a saturated solution of Na2C2O4 in water at different temperatures, determine the effect of temperature in solubility, and to apply Le Chatelier's Principle. We can do all this by simply titrating a certain amount of standard KMnO4, and measuring how much KMnO4 was needed to help Na2C2O4 reach chemical equilibrium at certain temperatures. In doing this, we will have fulfilled all the goals of our experiment, as well as being able to determine the Solubility of Na2C2O3 at both 20 and 100 C, in addition to determining both experimental and theoretical ∆H for the reactions. Procedure

A. Preparation and Standardization of KMnO4 Solution:
I weighed out about 2.8 grams of potassium permanganate and dissolved it in about 200 ml of distilled water. I made sure to make all of the permanganate dissolve, of course, by stirring it thoroughly. I then weighed about 2 samples of sodium oxalate (.47 and .50 g) then placed them in some 200-ml Erlenmeyer flasks, then and added about 50 ml of distilled water to them as well. I then titrated the potassium permanganate solution after adding about 15 ml of 3 M sulfuric acid to the oxalate and heating the whole solution to about 60-90 C, using a magnetic stirring bar to help stir. I kept on slowly titrating at the same temperature until the solution turns very light pink. I then stopped, recorded the amount of KmnO4 used, then went on. B. Preparation and Analysis of Samples:

I weighed out about 12 g of sodium oxalate and then put it into a 250-ml Erlenmeyer flask, along with 150 ml of distilled water. I then stirred it around, to make sure that the solution dissolved completely. After stirring, I measured its current temperature then allowed it to settle for a while....
tracking img