The researcher wishes to express her gratitude towards her social studies teacher who was abundantly helpful. The researcher would also like to thank her parents for their kind co-operation and for supporting her financially throughout this assessment. Lastly, the researcher would like to thank the almighty god, without whom nothing is possible.
This assessment is based on child labour.
Child labour refers to the employment of children in any work that deprives children of their childhood, interferes with their ability to attend regular school, and that is mentally, physically, socially or morally dangerous and harmful. This practice is considered exploitative by many and legislations across the world prohibit child labour.
Statement of Problem
What are the effects of child labour in Cumberland village, East Canje Berbice?
Reasons for Selecting Area of Research
The reasons for selecting this area of research is because the prevalence of child labour among schools in the researcher’s village is high; the researcher would also like to study the factors related to child labour, like the reasons for children working, problems faced by the children, work place conditions, etc.
Method of Investigation
The method of investigation used for this project was in the form of a questionnaire. The questionnaire was used because of the following reasons: * It is cheaper
* It does not require as much effort from the questioner as verbal or telephone surveys * It has standardized answers that make it simple to compile data.
Instrument Used to Collect Data Questionnaire
135 New Street Cumberland
21st September, 2012.
The researcher is a fifth form student of New Amsterdam Secondary School. The researcher is pursuing a course of subject in the Caribbean Examination Council (CXC), Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) in Social Studies, which the researcher would be writing in 2013. The researcher is required to conduct a research on a school based assessment (SBA) based on the topic child labour. The researcher is hereby seeking your assistance. To complete this questionnaire you are required to put a tick ☑in the appropriate box. Thank you for your co-operation.
Fifth Form Student of N.A.S.S
Caribbean Examination Council
Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate
School Based Assessment
Topic: Child Labour
Instruction: To complete this questionnaire you are required to put a tick ☑in the appropriate boxes. 1. What is your sex?
2. What is your age?
3. What is your ethnicity?
East Indian □
4. What is your religion?
5. How much have you heard about child labour?
A lot □
A little bit □
Not Much □
6. What comes to your mind when ‘child labour’ is mentioned? Children being forced to work □
Children working in terrible environments
Children working to earn a living due to poverty
7. What do you think creates awareness about child labour most effectively? Internet □
8. Which gender do you think is more affected by child labour? Male □
9. Do you think child labour is serious in this community? No □
10. What do you think is the reason for child labour?
Political Systems □
11. What kind of industry mostly appears in your village? Agriculture □
12. Do you think a child below the age of sixteen going to work is right? It’s up to them...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document