Social Institutions Paper

Topics: Meningitis, Domestic violence, Meningococcal disease Pages: 7 (2588 words) Published: October 23, 2011
Kallie Boling
Sociology 241
July 16, 2011
“Social Institutions”
1. Discuss the evolution of our economy as it relates to industry and work? What accounts for the citizenry movement from economic independence to economic dependence when it comes to the role of government and the nature of work?

This question was kind of difficult for me to answer. I think that economy is a very broad subject to try and tackle. In the 18 and 19th century work shifted from Agricultural to Industrial. During the industrial revolution we had an economic shift in the way we worked and how we earned a living. It seems as though it has happened again. We no longer produce goods, we provide services to people. What has happened is called a service revolution. It is an economy dominated by service and information occupations. These jobs do not consist of manufacturing. Instead these jobs include things like retail, food, and customer services. We do not provide the manufacturing in the US like we used too. 2. What are problems of work today? Compare and contrast capitalism and socialism economic systems as they relate to the U.S. Are there hints/elements of socialism in the U.S. economy? If no, what is the present form of capitalism in the U.S.? If yes, what are they and when were these elements introduced? What is the future of capitalism in the U.S….the world and working class people? 3. What is the impact of dual-worker families on the U.S.? How does one-parent families compare to two-parent families? Explain the increase in single-parent families, pointing out the basis for your perspective. An important impact of the current economic conditions upon today’s American family is that of the dual-income family. Currently many families, mine own included, need both partners to provide economic support in order secure quality housing, childcare and living conditions. The primary factor in the increase of dual-income families over the recent years has been because of the economy. Most families these days need an income from both parents in order to live comfortably and even still some families have both parents working and they are barely making ends meet. One-parent families compare to two-parent families in that in many homes there comes hardships, trials, and tribulations and with these problems there are several sacrifices that have to be made. In most single or one-parent homes it is often found that there is not enough money to provide for and meet every need and want in the household. In a two-parent home the income is better because both parents are providing for the family. The family dynamic is better mainly because the worries of finances aren’t as bad as in one-parent families. Two-parent families do not necessarily have all of the emotional drama that often times comes with the split relationship between the parents, whereas, single parent homes normally do. Often times, in single-parent homes, the income of the household is very scarce. The parent usually just has one job to provide for the children and because of this the family tends to struggle. People in the family will not be able to buy any unnecessary accessories that they would like to have. The money is normally used on things that the household needs instead of the things the household would like to have.   Single-parent homes usually have to get a second job for more income in order to make ends meet. In doing research on single parent families, statistics show that of these, 84 % of the custodial parents are mothers, while fathers make up the remaining 16 % of single custodial parents. Of these mothers and fathers, the reason for the situation varied quite dramatically. 44 % of single mothers had been divorced, and 33 percent had never been married. 22 % of them had remarried, and 1 % were widowed. 79 % of these mothers were employed and earning an income for the families. 50 percent of these working mothers worked full time and 29 % worked part time. Of...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Functions of Social Institutions Research Paper
  • Social Institutions Essay
  • Social Psychology Definition Paper
  • social problems paper immigration
  • Social Psychology Paper
  • Social Norm Paper
  • Essay about Social institutions
  • Social institution Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free