1. Inspiration for writingHis reading of Harriet Beecher Stowe’s Uncle Tom’s CabinIt was out of Rizal’s deeper vision that El Filibusterismo emerged.
2. English meaning of the title“Touch Me Not”“Dangerous patriot who will soon be on the gallows, or else a conceited fellow.”
3. Places where it was writtenMadrid, Paris, Germany, WilhelmsfeldLondon, Paris, Madrid, Biarritz
4. Year it was first written18841887
5. Place and year the unpolished version was completedBerlin (1886)Biarritz (1891) 6. Place and year the polished version was completedBerlin (1887)Ghent (1891) 7. No of chapters6338
8. To whom it was dedicatedTo the PhilippinesGom- Bur- Za
9. Publication financerDr. Maximo ViolaValentine Ventura
10. Publication printing pressBerliner Buchdruckrei-Action-Gesselschaft
F. MEYER- VAN LOO PRESS
11. Token for the financerGalley proofs of the Noli carefully rolled around the pen that Rizal used in writing it and a complimentary copy.
Original Manuscript and an autographed printed copy.
12. Critics of the novelIn citing the Biblical source, Rizal made a mistake. It should be the Gospel of St. John not St. Luke.
Unlike many works of fictional literature, Noli Me Tangere was a true story of Philippine conditions during the last decades of the Spanish rule.
In the original manuscript, there was a chapter entitled “Elias and Salome” w/c follows Chapter XXIV. By reducing the pages of the manuscript, the cost of printing would correspondingly be reduced.The martyrdom of Gomez, Burgos, and Zamora occurred on February 17, 1872- not on 28th.
Father Gomez was 73 years old- not 85. Father Burgos was 35 years old- not 30. Father Zamora was 37 years old- not 35.
Two features in the manuscript do not appear in the printed book, namely: the FOREWARD and the WARNING. These were not put into print, evidently, to save printing cost.
The FOREWARD appears just before the...