Please ensure your family name is in
Project submitted in partial fulfilment
of the requirements of the
BA (HONS) Logistics and Supply Chain Management
of Northumbria University
I declare the following:-
(1) that the material contained in this Project is the end result of my own work and that due acknowledgement has been given in the bibliography and references to ALL sources be they printed, electronic or personal.
(2) the Word Count of this Project is: Part A …3893..... Part B …5503...
(3) that unless this Project has been confirmed as confidential, I agree to an entire electronic copy or sections of the Project to being placed on Blackboard, if deemed appropriate, to allow future students the opportunity to see examples of past Projects. I understand that if displayed on Blackboard it would be made available for no longer than five years and that students would be able to print off copies or download. The authorship would remain anonymous.
(4) I agree to my Project being submitted to a plagiarism detection service, where it will be stored in a database and compared against work submitted from this or any other School or from other institutions using the service.
In the event of the service detecting a high degree of similarity between content within the service this will be reported back to my supervisor and second marker, who may decide to undertake further investigation which may ultimately lead to disciplinary actions, should instances of plagiarism be detected.
(5) I have read the University Policy Statement on Ethics in Research and Consultancy and the Policy for Informed Consent in Research and Consultancy and I declare that ethical issues have been considered and taken into account in this research.
SIGNED:  ..........................................................
I would like to thank my lecturer for all his help during this assignment. I would also like to thank my university colleagues for their continued support.
Lastly I would like to thank my family and partner. Without whose continual encouragement and support I would not have been able to complete this assignment.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents4
Glossary of Terms6
Personal Development Project7
1.2 How do we learn?7
1.3 Previous experience and current approach to learning8 1.4 Working as part of a team8
1.5 Areas of weakness11
1.6 Applications of learning style tests14
1.7 Accuracy of learning style tests15
2.1 Life long learning17
2.2 Career choices18
Part B – Problems, Issues and Inefficiencies in Humanitarian Logistics.20 Abstract20
1.1 Brief history of humanitarian aid organisations22
Section 2 – Literature review23
2.1 Issues with humanitarian relief23
2.2 Future of humanitarian logistics23
2.3 Communication and coordination amongst organisations24 2.4 Consistency of emergency relief – or lack of26
2.5 Information systems26
2.6 Agile supply chain and funding restrictions28
2.7 Warehouse locations and stock management32
2.7.1 Third party logistics specialist36
2.8 Professional qualifications in humanitarian logistics36 2.9 Lessons learned and knowledge transfer37
Appendix A – Reflective StatementError! Bookmark not defined. Appendix B – BelbinError! Bookmark not defined.
Appendix C - VARKError! Bookmark not defined.
Test ResultsError! Bookmark not defined.
Test QuestionnaireError! Bookmark not defined.
Appendix D – Myers BriggsError! Bookmark not defined.
Test 1 (18/12/07) - ResultsError!...