VISVODAYA ENGINEERING COLLEGE
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Author 1: Author 2: D.chanikya , Ch.Lokesh (094N1A0143) (094N1A0131) IV B.Tech., IV B.Tech.,
Time, Material, labour, cost are most efficient things to construct any civil engineering structures. But at present the available requirement of labour is more difficult for any civil engineering constructions and also construction time is increase and labour cost is high and material waste is increase. For avoiding these problems Precast Concrete Technology is come to exist. The reasons to choose Precast Construction are it is modular, have more strength, durable, efficiency, speed, low maintenance cost and quality finish and also it is not required curing and plastering. This Paper describes why and when to choose Precast construction , types of Precast systems, Precast Concrete Elements in construction , Transportation of Elements to the site, Erection and installation of Precast Elements, Connections/Joints and applications of Precast Concrete in Civil Engineering Projects. Introduction:
Ancient Roman builders made use of concrete and soon poured the material into moulds to build their complex network of aqueducts, culverts, and tunnels. Modern uses for pre-cast technology include a variety of architectural and structural applications featuring parts of or an entire building system. Precast Concrete Construction is a process to build concrete structures using prefabricated components which are manufactured on/off site and assembled into their final positions at construction site, instead of the conventional method to form the structure using formworks and insitu placed wet concrete .This is a more mechanized construction method which is faster, neater and much less site labour. When to choose Precast?
The main reasons to choose precast construction method over conventional in-situ method are : * Economy in large scale project with high degree if repetitio in work execution. * Special architectural requirement in finishing
* Consistency in structural quality control.
* Fast speed of construction
* Limitation in availability of on site resources(e.g. materials & labour etc) * Other space & environment constraints
* Overall assessment of some of all of the above factors which points to the superiority if adopting precast construction over conventional method to achieve total/key project objectives. Why Pre-cast Construction?
Precast concrete offers solution to all of the problems and setbacks by Cast in Place Concrete (CIP). The following are the main advantages :
* Rapid Erection : Rapid speed of Erection & Fast Construction resulting in earlier occupancy and reduced financing costs. * Quality Assurance: Materials, Workmanship and Finishes. No transit loss in quality. Greater specialization in trades leading to higher quality in workmanship. * Longer spans are possible with Precasting and Prestressing. * Ease of Construction due to total Pre- Engineering.
* Aesthetics : Both Structural and Architectural finishes are possible. Architectural finishes may be achieved acid itching, sand blasting or brick veneer or any other finish as specified by the Customer/Architect. * No form working is required at the jobsite....