1. Attention getter- Pictures of aborted babies
2. Topic audience relationship- You or someone you know may be pregnant and may be considering having an abortion. 3. Credibility- I have been told that I was pregnant once and I also know people that have had abortions. 4. Preview- I'm going to give you some general facts on abortion, tell you how I feel about abortions, and lastly explain the abortion procedures.
A. In 2000, 1.3 million abortions took place in the U.S. alone
B. Reasons for getting an abortion
C. When does life begin?
1. Life begins at fertilization.
2. All characteristics of each person- sex, eye color, shoe size, intelligence, etc. -are determined at fertilization by the baby's genetic code in the 46 human chromosomes. 3. The unborn baby has a heartbeat at three weeks and brain waves at six.
D. Is the fetus a part of a woman's body?
1. It is a separate individual.
2. Separate circulatory system
3. Most have a different blood type
4. More than half are males
5. Egg can be taken out of one woman and placed into another woman 6. A woman's body is there to support and nourish the baby
E. The Effects of having an abortion
II. Abortion Procedures
A. Most abortions are suction curettage abortions. A sharp-edged plastic tube is inserted into the uterus; it cuts the unborn baby into pieces. A suction machine, many times more powerful than a vacuum cleaner, sucks out the pieces of the baby and the placenta into a cup. 1. This procedure is performed mostly after the baby is six weeks or older. The heart is already beating.
B. In later abortions, sharp instruments are used to cut the unborn baby out of the uterus piece by piece.
C. Powerful chemicals are used to induce labor and death.
III. How I feel about abortions