Max 700 words incl referencing, titles Excl bibliography
Source for every argument
* Definition of marketing
* Definition of needs -> motives -> biogenic or psychogenic, artificial needs?, wants and demands * Definition of artificially creating
* Represent the guiding essay question, represent your stance: needs are already existent and marketing merely satisfies the needs. Needs pre-exist marketing. * Essay question: Are the ‘needs’ of consumers artificially created?
1 Theoretical argument (assumption):
* Theory of rational consumer choice
* Microeconomics book: research combinations of prices and goods, preferences, optimal consumption point * Maslow pyramid: needs are in a hierarchical order, but they already exist. logical reasoning: needs are prefilled, therefore cannot be created. Marketing is mainly guidance for consumers about availability and prices of products.
2 Empirical arguments -> factual
* Contra: observations that disprove
* iPhones/Tablets -> statistics of sales
* Industry of organic food -> statistics
* Safety advertisements
Summarize. Clear end sentence
“Marketers do not create needs: Needs preexist marketers, marketers along with other societal factors, influence wants. Marketers might promote idea that Mercedes would satisfy a person’s need for social status. They do not, however, create the need for social status”. (Philip Kotler, Marketing Management: eleventh edition, chapter one, page no.11)
Need becomes motive (p 98 kotler) when it is aroused to a sufficient level of intensity to drive us to act. 3 theoretical arguments: freud, maslow, Herzberg.
Freud: psychological shaping behaviour i.e. need for recognition, esteem or belonging. Freud states...