Manufacturing Process of Fabric Softeners

Topics: Fabric softener, Quaternary ammonium cation, Surfactant Pages: 6 (1510 words) Published: September 27, 2012
Fabric Softener Manufacturing

I. Introduction
a. Brief History
b. Companies
II. Raw Materials
III. Process
c. Water addition in tanks
d. Heating, Mixing and Addition of Emulsifiers
e. Adding of conditioning ingredients
f. Heating and Mixing
g. Addition of the remaining ingredients
h. Storing and Packaging

Fabric softeners are laundry cleaning products that are designed and manufactured to deliver a variety of attributes in the fabric, such as superior softness, reduced wrinkle formation during the wash cycle, improved iron glide, better wrinkle removal after wash, superior color retention and improved stain protection. In addition, the fabric softeners are designed with technique and formulas that are safe, environmentally friendly and cost effective. These products work by depositing lubricating chemicals on the fabric that make it feel softer, reduce static cling, and impart a fresh fragrance. Manufacturers now days, use technical evaluations along with consumer testing to formulate softeners that are effective as well as affordable. Depending on the type and brand of fabric softener one uses, it can be added and mixed at the starting of laundry cycle during the rinse cycle or at the same time detergent is dispensed. Types

Fabric softeners come in two types, viz. Liquid as well Sheet form - * Liquid - Liquid fabric softeners offer deep conditioning of the fabrics. These softeners go into the washer at the final rinse and can be used in the washer dispenser by adding them at the right time or by putting them at the start of wash. * Sheets - Sheet type of fabric softeners can be used, in the case you don't like adding fabric softener to the wash. These fabric softeners go into the dryer at the beginning of drying cycle and are activated by heat. Brief History

The first fabric softeners were developed by the textile industry during the early twentieth century. At that time the process that was used to dye cotton fibers left them feeling harsh. In the early 1900s, preparations known as cotton softeners were developed to improve the feel of these fibers after dyeing. A typical cotton softener consisted of seven parts water, three parts soap, and one part olive, corn, or tallow oil. With advances in organic chemistry, new compounds were created that could soften fabric more effectively. These improved formulations soon found their way into the commercial market. In the late 1970s manufacturers found a way to deliver fabric softening benefits in a dryer sheet format. These sheets provide some of the benefits of fabric softeners but give the added convenience of being able to be added in the dryer instead of the washer rinse cycle. However, while dryer sheets are very popular today, liquid softeners are still widely used because they are more effective. In the 1990s, environmentally minded manufacturers began test marketing ultra-concentrated formulations. These "ultra" formulations are designed such that only about one-quarter as much product has to be used and therefore they can be packaged in smaller containers. However the perceived value to the consumer is lower because there are fewer products and the price is higher. It remains to be seen if these ultra concentrates will succeed in today's marketplace. By the end of the 1990s, the major manufacturers such as Procter and Gamble (Downy) and Lever Brothers (Snuggle), dominate about 90% of the market share while private label brands account for the remaining 10%.

* Procter and Gamble Philippines, Inc.
Address: 6750 Ayala Avenue, Office Tower, Ayala Center, Makati City

* Unilever Philippines, Inc.
Address: 1351 United Nations Ave. Paco, Manila City, NCR - First District 1007

* Green Cross, Inc.
Address: 14th Floor Common Goal Tower Finance corner Industry Streets, Madrigal Business Park, Alabang, Muntinlupa City Metro Manila,...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay about Air Bag Manufacturing Process
  • Fabric Softener Research Paper
  • Manufacturing and Process Essay
  • Manufacturing Process Essay
  • Manufacturing Process Essay
  • Manufacturing Essay
  • Process Design for Riordan Manufacturing Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free