Manpower planning is a process which aims to have the right number of staff at right places with right type of skills at right times to enable the organisation to achieve its short term and long term goals. In other words, manpower planning is the system, which ensures the manpower availability at a given point of time.Manpower recruitment is related to matching the personal qualities of employees with the job requirements.
Objectives of mpp
1) To ensure the human resources currently employed
2) To plan future man power needs
3) To anticipate reduncies and avoid unnecessary situation
4) To determine proper training levels.
Benefits of mpp
1) Reducing man power costs
2) Getting best contribution from the employees
3) Motivating the existing employees
4) Developing the existing manpower.
Assessment of Manpower in Railways
• In open line, factors like normal wastage, death, deputation, dismissal, creation of assets and posts, leave reserve, rest givers, yardsticks etc., influences the assessment of manpower.
• In construction projects, performance evaluation and review technique, phasing of work etc., are used to assess the manpower.
There have been dynamic change in the technology and modernisation, electrification, computerisation, mechanisation of track maintenance etc. are taking place at fast rate to meet the challenges of traffic requirements in Indian Railways. To meet the challenges of the changing environment, systematic manpower planning is essential. Therefore a category-wise analysis of staff should be carried out, to identify surplus and to arrange manpower in the areas of need. This adjusts the surplus in one category to other categories, where there is demand. Manpower planning ensures that the existing manpower is utilised to the maximum possible extent.
Manpower planning emphasise on training to different categories... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 07). Manpower Planning. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 07, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Manpower-Planning-353338.html
"Manpower Planning" StudyMode.com. 07 2010. 2010. 07 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Manpower-Planning-353338.html>.
- MLA 7
"Manpower Planning." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 07 2010. Web. 07 2010. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Manpower-Planning-353338.html>.
"Manpower Planning." StudyMode.com. 07, 2010. Accessed 07, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Manpower-Planning-353338.html.