In 1886, Papaya was changed into 'Muñoz' to honor Don Francisco Muñoz, the province’s alcalde mayor, and the community’s first appointed gobernadorcillo. Muñoz was annexed as a barrio of San Juan de Guimba municipality. Settlers trickled in from Bulacan and the Ilocos Region. In 1911, Factoria (now San Isidro town), the provincial capital, was totally flooded. Muñoz was then considered a possible new capital of the province.
At about the same time, the people of Barrios Muñoz and San Antonio, also in San Juan de Guimba town, and Palusapis in Sto. Domingo municipality, together with Sitios Kabisukulan, Rang-ayan, Mataas na Lupa, Siniguelas, Purok Agrikultura, and Pulong Maragul in Talavera town, were organizing themselves to be separated from their three respective municipalities to become a new independent municipality. They were prepared to construct a municipal hall and a school building for the emerging town.
FROM BARRIO TO TOWN
Upon recommendation of the Provincial Board of Nueva Ecija, then headed by Governor Isauro Gabaldon, and with approval of then Acting Governor General Newton Gilbert, the organized barrios and sitios were granted independence as a regular municipality on January 10, 1913 under the name of Muñoz. The seat of the fledgling municipal government was positioned in erstwhile Barrio Muñoz. Thus, the municipality of Muñoz was born, and steadily grew to become today an Agricultural Science City in-the-making.
Muñoz owes a tremendous lot to its early leaders — Tranquilino Delos Santos, and other homesteaders Luis Ramos, Ambrosio Medina, Cayetano Caisip, Victorino Pornuevo, and Precy Hill Delos Santos. A municipal hall, a church building, and a small public market were erected in Lumang Bayan (now Poblacion North). A road linking the young Muñoz town with the national highway from Barangay Bacal, Talavera was also constructed.
Muñoz continued to attract more settlers. More barrios were established and were named after their peoples’ ideals and aspirations, landmarks, and personalities such as Rang-ayan (prosperity), Linglingay (recreation), Mangandingay (company), Magtanggol (defense), and Villa Isla (in a leader’s honor).
Muñoz was not spared from the pains of the Second World War. Being the last stronghold of the Japanese Imperial Army while scampering to the Cordilleras, the American liberation offensive razed the town to the ground in a matter of days. But Muñoz has risen from the ashes slowly but surely under its dedicated leaders, and now, as a first-class town, has the full confidence to welcome and prosper further in the third millennium.
THE MAKING OF THE SCIENCE CITY OF MUÑOZ
Any place, be it a nation, metropolis or a lowly settlement, like any living thing, has its own evolution. From the dawn of civilization, mankind has always been ceaseless in its quest for advancement, hence the present way of life that we live in. A great mind once said that civilization is a voyage and not a harbor, yet civilization is never achieved within the flick of an eye, not for just a moment, an hour, a day, a month or a year, but in most cases, within a considerable or much longer period of time. Moreover, civilization is not merely dreamt of but it must be labored for, perhaps with blood, sweat and tears, if only to realize or attain the kind of development aspired for?
The Civilization or progress in a certain place has many configurations where the Science City of Muñoz, is a unique one. Let us embark to a journey to the past to give more color and meaning to the present condition of Muñoz as a city.
Just like Rome which was not built in a day so is the Science City of Muñoz which took more than seven (7) long odd years in the making from its conceptualization on September 3, 1993 up to the realization of a dream on December 9, 2000, upon the conduct of a Plebiscite which overwhelmingly ratified Republic Act No. 8977, "AN ACT CONVERTING THE MUNICIPALITY OF MUÑOZ...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document